Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup covers- effect on sound, effort to remove?

T Bone

I just picked up this 2007 Les Paul Classic Antique (it's like new!). The first owner added pickup covers (like the look actually, might've done that myself). But I was wondering what effect they have on the sound if any, and whether they are easily removable or not? Is it something that can be installed or uninstalled without more than a screwdriver or whatever?

On a related note, since this guitar had minor mods (the covers, plus TonePros locking bridge and stop), I'd like to verify my pickups are the correct Vintage 57 and Vintage 57+. Can you tell me how to get a positive ID on them? Thanks!

orig.jpg

The covers are soldered on. On the bottom of the pickup, you will see solder on both sides. As for sound difference, that debate has gone on for years & will continue for years. I don't know myself about sound differences but I think they look better with the covers on.

Craig

You can get the pickup closer to the strings with the covers off, sometimes this is desirable but also can sound harsh too.

If you like the look and sound I would leave them on as the difference in sound is not much.

To tell if its stock pickups you could remove the large backplate on the back of the guitar

From there look into the control cavity and see if anything looks like it was changed or you could post a picture of inside the control cavity from the back.

Thanks Gents! I had a feeling the covers on/off was one of those things that folks debate (the type where the only resolution usually reached is what one party or the other prefers). That being the case, I'll leave them on.

I like the sound so far, but have only fired it up through the Champion 600 practice amp with no pedals. The true test will come in a day or two when I can get the standard rig fired up and put a bit of volume on with (and without) some effects. I can still adjust pickup height if needed (I'd likely be in the camp that found them too harsh if too close to the strings- I don't want the magnets to interfere with the awesome sustain I can hear in this thing, even without an amplifier- if needed, I can get them closer to get a bit more growl I think, but don't want them overly close). I'll try to look up specs on the measurement the factory recommends between the covers and the strings, always a good starting point if not a good place to leave them.

Thanks Gents! I had a feeling the covers on/off was one of those things that folks debate (the type where the only resolution usually reached is what one party or the other prefers). That being the case' date=' I'll leave them on.

I like the sound so far, but have only fired it up through the Champion 600 practice amp with no pedals. The true test will come in a day or two when I can get the standard rig fired up and put a bit of volume on with (and without) some effects. I can still adjust pickup height if needed (I'd likely be in the camp that found them too harsh if too close to the strings- I don't want the magnets to interfere with the awesome sustain I can hear in this thing, even without an amplifier- if needed, I can get them closer to get a bit more growl I think, but don't want them overly close). I'll try to look up specs on the measurement the factory recommends between the covers and the strings, always a good starting point if not a good place to leave them.[/quote']

I had taken the chrome covers off on my LP, but that was largely because I didn't like how shiny the chrome was.

At first I thought that it made the pickups a little brighter, but I then a year later I added aged nickel covers and I could tell no difference....so I don't know....maybe its a placebo effect.

Archived