Gibson Brands Forums

Thank You! Thank you Both!

FirstMeasure

Actually, no. I think the smallest crowd I've played for was more like 8, maybe 12 folks (solo acoustic gig at a disco... anyone remember discos?)

I'll wager the reaction was similar /chuckle...

Strange how that happens.

My brother and his band played last weekend for his son's pre wedding stag. Played their asses off. They sold 150 tickets for the event (all proceeds to the young couple) and I never saw more than 15 people on the dance floor at one time. And they were all the old farts like me. The younger crowd were early 20's and mostly hung out outside. Granted the music was all classic rock. My personal preference, but the kids just didn't seem to get it. Good music played well is just that...good music. I'll get into anything played well.

The previous weekend they played in a local club and packed the place. There was no room left inside so the party extended to the outside patio. People were literally dancing in the streets.

I felt really bad for the band the night of the stag but they were cool with it. They really appreciated the old fogies kicking up their heels.

Dave

Last New Year's Eve...we started playing, about 9 PM. There was maybe 20 people in this

little Bar/Grill, eating. They all got up, about 9:45, and left! That left us, and the "staff." (We

found out, later...that the people who had left, never intended to stay beyond "dinner," anyway...

as they had a private party to attend.) So, not knowing that, at first...It was very demoralizing,

but we decided to make it like a "dress rehersal," and play on, anyway. About 10:45, the place

was suddenly Packed!! And, remained so, the rest of the night. So, what started off, as a real

"bummer," turned into a really decent gig!

CB

I've played those kind of gigs too. We played last October at this little bar in a seedy Baltimore neighborhood. Very few of our friends would even go in that neighborhood and on top of that it was a rainy, crappy night.

At one point we were playing to the bartender :-

Luckily a few of the "locals" came in for the rest of the night and they were actually pretty good. All 4 of them :-s

I may have exaggerated a bit, there was about 8 or 9 people in the bar, but it's a center bar and most of them were on the far side. They still loved it, and the owner had nothing but praise for us. He wants us back, so that's nice. I actually kind of enjoy those moments. You get very personal with the few peole who stayed, and the Owner Manger gets to see how you take "Disappointment", not that I was disappointed. Just did like CB and called it a Dress Rehearsal.

Oh Well, we're doing it again tonight. Here's hoping a Bachelor-ette Party walks in. :-$

Playing there agian tonight

Or less. Which prompted me to invent a word for the singular of audience......"audient".

[lol] I love this!

I think the economy is worse than is being admitted. Add to that "no smoking in bars" laws, and roadblocks set up for somebody that looked at a beer and it's a tough living these days.

And each generation has more and more options. Years ago going out and drinking to a live band was the best way to hook up.

If you'd told me 20 years ago everybody would be typing mis-spelled messages to each other on teeny little phones with their thumbs I would have told you you were nuts.

"Why not just call em'?"

Bwahahahahahahahahaha......

[lol]

I think the economy is worse than is being admitted. Add to that "no smoking in bars" laws' date=' and roadblocks set up for somebody that looked at a beer and it's a tough living these days.

And each generation has more and more options. Years ago going out and drinking to a live band was the best way to hook up.

If you'd told me 20 years ago everybody would be typing mis-spelled messages to each other on teeny little phones with their thumbs I would have told you you were nuts.

"Why not just call em'?"

Bwahahahahahahahahaha......

[blink

That's funny Murph, just today I asked the 20 something year old girl that was with us at the races today why she spent so much time texting her friends, why not just call them.... Turns out she has a Blackberry and all her friends have Blackberries too so they can text each other and it doesn't cost anything. Calls cost money. I was so glad it made sense.

That's funny Murph' date=' just today I asked the 20 something year old girl that was with us at the races today why she spent so much time texting her friends, why not just call them.... Turns out she has a Blackberry and all her friends have Blackberries too so they can text each other and it doesn't cost anything. Calls cost money. I was so glad it made sense. [/quote']

Here in the States calls within' Companies i.e. Verizon to Verizon are free.

It's not that........

[blink]

Texting is less invasive. How many people have you heard complain about folks talking on their cell phones in public places? Texting is a silent option.

Uh... set list...

House of the Rising Sun...

I don't remember exactly... maybe Ventura Highway or Horse With No Name? Knights in White Satin?

I had a pretty extensive catalogue at the time... I could have played any one of a bunch of tunes.... I remember playing House of the Rising Sun, though.

It was a cool gig, on one of the DJ's breaks, I took the dance floor with my guitar and played. Everyone was sitting around chatting with their friends and having a good time listenting to tunes while they drank and talked.

Then it was right back to Rod Stewart and Hot LEYAGS.... and Donna Summer loving to love me...

[blink]

I think the economy is worse than is being admitted. Add to that "no smoking in bars" laws' date=' and roadblocks set up for somebody that looked at a beer and it's a tough living these days.

[/quote']

Actually, it was just a slow night at a pretty small bar. Hasn't been smoking in bars around here for over a decade and there's no Check Points around these parts.

Last night, for example, was going off hard. The place was absolutely packed, tips were flowing, the owner was dancing with patrons, the Bartenders were singing along. It was everything you'd want from a Saturday Night on the Town.

Way better than Friday Night. Pics and Vid Clips coming soon.

Ever play a Great Night to a room full of about three people' date=' not including staff? [biggrin']

I Still Love It

Too many times... [biggrin]

A couple years back, my band went to Cincinnatti for 2 shows at a new club that sits around 500. The first night, we played for about 15 folks(including staff).. The next night the club was full!

Archived