Gibson Brands Forums

Frey Tokamine.....

Murph

My mother in law just left from a visit and we sat around the other night and had an acoustic jam with fiddle, mandolin, a few guitars, ect.

She has a new Glenn Frey Tokamine and THOUGHT she liked it.

Then she sat across the room from my J-45RW.

[blink]

I played it some, the neck is very thin compaired to my Gibby, and so was the sound. It looked nice and stuff but there was a VERY obvious difference when put side by side. I have no idea what kind of construction was used and haven't done any research on it yet, but it wasn't even in the same ballpark, tonewise.

Heh. :-

I must add, after reading the post, that I didn't say anything about it.

SHE WAS THE ONE WHO ASKED TO PLAY MINE to see why it sounded so much better than hers........

I was a perfect gentleman......

:-s

That's interesting - I ain't ever played one (nor a J-45RW) but I have heard nothing but good stuff about those Glenn Fry guitars. I have played a few upper end Taks and was more impressed with them than I expected to be. But I have a thing, an unreasonable thing I admit but a thing none the less, about buying offshore acoustic guitars.

ZmbyWf, Funny.. I'm the same way. I'd love to get an Epihome masterbuilt but to me, it's just Un-American. Even Canadian is offshore as far as I'm concerned. No offense to you all on here who like guitars from other countries. Most of what I own is made overseas (I think I'm directly employing a small family in China). Even my furniture. I just believe guitars are something that the US has in its DNA, between Gibson and Martin and our hundreds of other boutique custom builders. I think when you buy something high end, you are voting with your wallet - and investing in that industry in that nation. I welcome copy cats in Japan and China - as long as the US guitar industry leads the way. Yes, I realize guitars were not 'invented' in the US, that the banjo is our only indigenous instrument, and that some of the best guitar players come from other countries. I just think we've taken the guitar and made it close to a national icon -baseball use to be - and the crafting of the instrument more so in the US than anywhere else.

Like you I am not trying to pick a fight and I admit my whole offshore guitar thing does not make sense. The best Gibson clones I have ever played were not the Epis but those old Ibanez versions. It is easy to undertand why Gibson got their panties in a wad over those. Yet, I just ain't gonna buy one.

Even more strange - I love the el cheapo Made in Japan electrics from the 1960s. If there was a pickup Mount Rushmore I would place the Teisco Gold Foil right up there.

... She has a new Glenn Fry Takamine... I played it some' date=' the neck is very thin compaired to my Gibby, and so was the sound. ...it wasn't even in the same ballpark {as my J-45RW}, tonewise.[/quote']

I had a Takamine 12 (F385) for many years. Loved it plugged in with those famous Takamine electronics, but unplugged - very thin. I've played a few Takamines over the years and that's how I think of all of them, thin sounding, but great plugged in.

My mother in law just left from a visit and we sat around the other night and had an acoustic jam with fiddle' date=' mandolin, a few guitars, ect.

She has a new Glenn Fry Takamine and THOUGHT she liked it.

[/quote']

i've wondered about this myself as both fry and henley seem to play them alot (read: endorsement?) but neither of them has written anything worth hearing in the last 10 years (i'm being kind) and most of the eagles' good stuff was written on martins in the '70s. maybe that's an unfair/cruel judgement on two 2 legends bec a good writer can write on anything - a piece of cardboard with an elastic band on it - a sound which is not unlike most taks! sorry.

i played a rw45 in toronto 2 years ago and i should have bought it. it was mind blowing.

Kind of fun taunting the mother-in-law' date=' ain't it?....lol:-$ [/quote']

[biggrin]

Yep.....

Yea, man. I spelled Fry wrong.

You'd think with my checkered past, and all.

Actually, I spelled it right.

He spells it wrong.

[biggrin]

[cool]

Yep.....

Yea' date=' man. I spelled Fry wrong.

You'd think with my checkered past, and all.

Actually, I spelled it right.

He spells it wrong.

[lol

As you can see, I admitted that. There are no Eagle CD's in my house, so I was wingin' it. I got the "Long Road Out Of Eden" cd a few years back as a gift, but he wasn't on it, and it was lost after the first listen.....

(tough crowd...)

[cool]

Archived