Gibson Brands Forums

Lifetime warranty question

varholl

Hi guys, I'm in a doubt, I bought a brand new Les paul studio faded. I filled out the online warranty form and it seems that it was registered... but i didn't got any confirmation.

Also the guitar didn't came with no warranty paper. My question is, how can Gibson confirm if I'm the first owner or not in case of any problem with the guitar?

Thanks!

I see your listed location as Argentina. It's my understanding that unless you bought the guitar from an authorized dealer in the United States, the "Gibson Lifetime Warranty" in not valid anyway.

It looks like L5Larry is correct ; GIBSON MAKES NO OTHER EXPRESS WARRANTY OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER. ALL IMPLIED, WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, EXCEEDING THE SPECIFIC PROVISIONS OF THIS WARRANTY ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED AND EXCLUDED FROM THIS WARRANTY. SOME STATES AND/OR COUNTRIES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO THAT THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

GIBSON SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR OTHER SIMILAR DAMAGES SUFFERED BY THE PURCHASER OR ANY THIRD PARTY, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION. DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS OR BUSINESS OR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THE INSTRUMENT, WHETHER IN CONTRACT OR IN TORT, EVEN IF GIBSON OR ITS AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, AND GIBSON SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY EXPENSES, CLAIMS, OR SUITS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO ANY OF THE FOREGOING.

**Customers who purchased product outside the U.S should contact their local distributor for the handling and resolution of all warranty issues as the above-described Gibson Gold Warranty is not applicable.

I cut and pasted this from the Gibsom web-site. http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/WarrantyRegistration/GibsonUSAWarranty/

As you stated you bought the guitar in the USA , Email Gibson or call Customer Service for a clear answer. Also Gibson sends an email to you to confirm that your registration went though and was recieved.

My absolutely bad, I checked emails and got a confirmation of the warranty... my bad, I apologize.

It seems that my registration was successful.

Sorry for making you guys search for all that info, I'm so embarrased!

Congratulations on your new Les Paul. In the unlikely event you ever do need warranty service, you would need to have a copy of your receipt available. Always keep your receipt stored in a safe location.

Also Gibson sends an email to you to confirm that your registration went though and was recieved.

I've never received any such email and I've mailed in about five of those registration cards. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada (no lifetime warranty up here) but a few of them were purchased from/in the US. Not sure if this was mentioned but you also have to physically take the guitar back to the US for any warranty claims.

I've never received any such email and I've mailed in about five of those registration cards. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada (no lifetime warranty up here) but a few of them were purchased from/in the US. Not sure if this was mentioned but you also have to physically take the guitar back to the US for any warranty claims.

Well, that was not what the guy said in Guitar Center... he said that I can take my guitar to any official dealer in any country.

BTW: I did receive the registration confirmation email.

First off, don't ever trust anything a Guitar Center employee tells you. Most of them don't know anything and they often give out false information. When I was still a Gibson newbie, I bought a 335 from NY State and later noticed that one of the pickups wasn't sitting properly. Not wanting to touch the guitar (again, newbie), I called Gibson and they said they'd fix it but I had to send it to an authorized repair center in the US...even though there's one right here in Ontario, Canada. Didn't matter, I bought it from the US and it had to be serviced in the US for Gibson to pay for it.

Theres no lifetime warranty up here?...Outside of the US Gibson send more guitars here than

anywhere else in the world.

If theres no warranty, then we shouldnt have to pay as much for a new one.

Yes, you would have to send it to an authorized service center in the U.S.

Regardless of (and in addition to), the factory warranty, there are laws and regulations concerning "implied warranty". These laws are set, and governed, by each state in the U.S., and by each individual country otherwise. By selling their productsin a specific area, every mfg is also legally bound by the specific laws of that area.

These laws are in place to assure things like if you buy a gutar, it has six strings and makes music. Generally speaking they state that any product sold must suitably perform the intended task for for which it was marketed and sold to do. These are known as comsumer protection laws and can be very strict in support of the "consumer".

One other warranty fact you should know. It makes no difference if you send in the registration card or not (on any product). The mfg is legally respossible to honor it's stated warranty regardless. The ONLY proof you need is an original sales receipt, stating you are the original purchaser of a "new" product. Most warranty registration information is collected for use in mailing lists, marketing purposes and data bases. In other words to sell you more stuff.

R9, and to all, Sorry, I forgot to include in my posting that Gibson sends a return email, when you use their online registation. my mistake.

Archived