Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for L-00, Blues King, Nick Lucas or RJ L-1 reissue

Greenwater

Hello everbody.

This is my first post to this forum. I've been lurking for a few weeks. I have learned a lot and it's been very entertaining. I bought my first Gibson about a month ago...a CJ-165 (maple) that I'm loving. It's a fabulous guitar. But now I'm wanting to add a even smaller body. I would be interested in picking up a used version of any of the models listed in the subject line above. If you have one you're interested in selling, email me at jgreen@ddfky.com. Thanks.

Jim

There is a NL re-issue from the 1990's at a pawn shop near me. They are asking 2800.00. If you want' date=' I can investigate?[/quote']

i just last week A/B'd a 1991 nick lucas against my '99 L00 blues king. the blues king absolutely blew the lucas away projection and tone wise. thought i might be interested in the lucas because of the cosmetic differences but the tone is what mattered. maple (lucas) vs. hog back/sides i suppose. then there's the price difference. the lucas i tried was offered at 1850.00. you can snag a used blues king typically for around 1250-1500 on evil bay. play them both first if you can before you buy. could be an expensive mistake. just my .02.

rob

If you dig in a little bit those Nicks can really sound out. You have to find the right way to play them. It's a very sensitive guitar for finger style; not that great for strumming in my opinion. Heavier strings are good on the nick. I think the maple nicks are not for everybody. The Blues King is probably going to be more to most player's liking, IMO. Now I'm talking about the recent reissues here.

Thanks for the input so far from everyone who has contributed to the thread. Ideally, I would be able to play one of the desired boxes before buying something but as many of you know, it doesn't often work out that way in the real world, particularly if you are buying something used. I almost bid on a 2006 Robert Johnson L-1 for sale on ebay yesterday, but restraint won the day. I would be interested in hearing from anyone with experience with one of those as well.

Anthony, I appreciate the offer re: the NL at the pawn shop but the asking price is well above market, so I guess I'll pass.

So Rob, want to sell your Blues King? =P~

I am on the search so let me know if you come across anything interesting. Thanks again.

Jim

Welcome Jim! I am a former resident of Lexington and remain a frequent visitor. (My wife is actually there today visiting her family). I bought my Nick Lucas Elite at Willcutt ($2,600). I think they had two or three other versions upstairs. If I recall correctly, they had an 11K Ren built Koa/Adi NL. It was phenomenal. Just as sweet as can be. I think they may have had a hog NL too.

I agree with most of the previous posters that a Nick is not particularly versatile. However, mine does things none of my other guitars can do. I play mine with a pick and it is remarkably dry and woody. Individual notes are fat and clear. Think Bob Dylan's first album. (I know...he used a J-50 at that point in his career. But curiously mine sounds more like his j-50 than his Nick Lucas). Superb for recording.

I've been debating getting one of those Costello Century of Progress guitars. If I do I may consider parting with my beloved Nick. I would find it hard justifying two small bodied maple guitars.

So Rob, want to sell your Blues King? =P~

I am on the search so let me know if you come across anything interesting. Thanks again.

Jim

think i'm gonna hang on to it. i got it in swap for an AJ here on the forum with Jkinnaman. almost put it up for sale to facilitate the purchase of my new SJ but decided to keep it as it's a great little guitar and Jon had it set up real nice. here's newer one on ebay right now if you hadn't seen it. this one has bubinga b/s which i have no experience with. price is not too far off of reality though. and the hard case is a plus.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Acoustic-Electric-Blues-King-Classic-2-mo-old_W0QQitemZ160242813492QQihZ006QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maninblack,

We're practically neighbors. I would be interested in your Nick Lucas if you decide to go in that direction. I would be happy to come to Cinti to test drive it. Just let me know. Feel free to email directly to me at jgreen@ddfky.com. BTW, impressive stable you got there.

Rob (jannusguy), thanks for the link to ebay. I'll investigate the offering.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would post an update regarding the search for an L-00, L-1, NL reissue, etc. I recently found and purchased a 2002 Gibson L-00. I don't have it yet but should receive it early next week. According to the seller, it has a deeper body than the more recent Blues Kings. I appreciate the leads and advice I got from the forum. And I'm really excited about my purchase.

Jim

Archived