Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a fake?

Alexj7

Is this les paul a fake?

It has the certificate of authenticity

It doesnt have very great pictures.

It does come with a case (gibson one)

But there arent many pictures of it and the bridge/tuners are the wrong colour.

4ad4db15dd5bb_1.jpg

It's difficult to be 100% sure from that snap, but I'm fairly sure it's a fake.

There are at least six things that don't seem quite right.

It doesn't help that the pic is upside down!

Are there any more photos?

If the seller is unwilling to send more, better, close-up photos then I'd say walk away.

One other thing; Gibson Silverburst Customs that I've seen usually have the 'Tear-drop' 'burst pattern. Not always, though.

EDIT ; The more I look at it the less real it looks.

Well the odd thing is he wants me to pass over £300 over paypal and he will send the guitar over for me to trade with him. now i doubt a scammer would use paypal lol. and if all goes smoothly i could just wait for the guitar to arive determine its roots and then send my guitar to compleate the transaction. am i being silly and hoping to much?

Well the odd thing is he wants me to pass over £300 over paypal and he will send the guitar over for me to trade with him. now i doubt a scammer would use paypal lol. and if all goes smoothly i could just wait for the guitar to arive determine its roots and then send my guitar to compleate the transaction. am i being silly and hoping to much?

Yes.

If it's one of the usual Chinese copies (and I'm really pretty certain that it is) they can be bought for around £240 inc delivery.

Im no expert but I would walk away, like someone already said, i can see a good 5 or 6 things there that indicate it being a Chinese copy.

My general rule of thumb is, if the deal seems to good to be true, it probably is.

well i was looking for someone to trade my fender 1996 stratocaster for a les paul standard. The guy was going to trade my strat and £300. which seemed far from the reasonable amount. But i was gona have a look see anyway. Suppose I shouldnt be so pushy to get me a les paul.

I'm not a Gibson expert but even I see this is a fake.

Pup-selector placed too high, pots too low, screw on pickguard to close to the edge,...

Don't let the case fool you. I've seen plenty of fake Gibsons that come with a "Gibson USA" case...

...Don't let the case fool you. I've seen plenty of fake Gibsons that come with a "Gibson USA" case...

+1.

And if they can fake a whole guitar I suspect they can fake a 'Certificate of Authenticity' too...

For what it's worth, you have another vote to walk away from that deal. I agree with pippy on faking a COA and crooks do use paypal. I don't have the expertise to post a photo, but go to Gibson's product pages for a look at a real silverburst.

Its just crazy, people need to wake up to the fact that you can,t get a les paul custom or any top end gibson for few hundred quid.A second hand silverburst custom will probably set you back say £1.500 to £2.000 and it will have the correct case,it may or may not have any paperwork. If you find one then you need to see the guitar in the flesh and if your not sure take somebody who is with you because these things can go very very wrong so dont let it end in tears.Even if your strat is a USA its probably only worth £400 to£500 quid so it just doesn,t add up. Be careful for god sake.As LPC666 says if it seems to good it probably is.

...people need to wake up to the fact that you can't get a les paul custom or any top end gibson for few hundred quid. A second hand silverburst custom will probably set you back say £1.500 to £2.000...

+1.

Although I'd like to add that I've also seen people who are asking proper prices for fakes.

The three hundred quid asking price alone should indicate this one is a fake. Only a total lunatic would let the genuine article go for that!:-k

He wasn't.

...Well I was looking for someone to trade my fender 1996 stratocaster for a les paul standard. The guy was going to trade my strat and £300...

If you are looking at a gutiar and having doubts on the authenticity, you can mail a few good pics (full front and back/headstock front and back) with the serial number to customer.relations@gibson.com. We will be happy to give an opinion.

This one looks not like a Gibson for as far as I can see.

Okay if we're being pedantic about it... Which Strat model is being thrown in with the deal - a CS model? [lol]

LOL!

Gosh. I'm really sorry to be so "pedantic" that I pointed out a minor thing like a Fender Stratocaster was also included - sorry - "thrown in" on top of the £300.

[biggrin]

Have a nice day.

LOL!

Gosh. I'm really sorry to be so "pedantic" that I pointed out a minor thing like a Fender Stratocaster was also included - sorry - "thrown in" on top of the £300.

:-

Have a nice day.

Have it your way - hope it keeps sunny for you too... [biggrin]

Archived