Gibson Brands Forums

How can I get my Gibson professionaly modded

blambo1223

Blackie is your man, he can hook you up with a mod that will blow your socks off. He is famous for his Biscuit White SG. He also treats the fretboards with a special lubricant he invented himself.

Perhaps he will share some pics.

Look at RSGuitarworks.net they have a gallery of refinished guitars on their website it will give you an idea as to what they can do, which seems to be about anything.

There is a shop in Nashville http://www.southboundcustom.com/ you can see prices on their website and get an idea.

There are a lot of reputable shops around the US (assuming that's where you are) that do this kind of work.

1) What model guitar do you want modded?

2) What is your budget?

3) Will the mod cost more than the guitar is worth?

4) How long are you willing to be without your guitar?

5) What's wrong with what you already have?

6) How old are you?

1) What model guitar do you want modded?

2) What is your budget?

3) Will the mod cost more than the guitar is worth?

4) How long are you willing to be without your guitar?

5) What's wrong with what you already have?

6) How old are you?

Gibson sg standard

100$

what?

A week or 2

I think it should have a different color and maybe more

Gibson sg standard

100$

what?

A week or 2

I think it should have a different color and maybe more

It would be nice to be able to do what you want within budget but I don't see it happening. I had a major tune up done on my oldest guitar (32 years old) and the labour alone was around $400 canadian and the guitar was gone for 7 weeks. The tech was really backed up with repairs etc. I had the pickups changed( required some modifications to the pickup cavity), the wiring, pots, caps, new nut and a fret dressing. No finish changes at all.

Good luck though.

Dave

There are a lot of other things you could put that 100$ towards instead of trying to re-do a Gibson. Go get yourself a nice used pedal, or new tuner. If you want to get into modding, AND paying someone to do it for you then you're going to be out a lot more time and money than a week or two and a C-Note.

I was thinking about getting it a new color' date=' maybe some other things...

What popular guitar stores do that if they even do, Daddys, Guitar Center, etc....

[/quote']

Go and practise.

When you take a break, have a look at the ads for second hand guitars that have the price reduced (and often an implicit sigh in the description) because they are refinished.

After that, go and practise some more.

You will also find that a pro refin is surprisingly expensive.

If you have a functional issue with the guitar like bad action or dodgy electrics, spend the $100 on a proper setup/repair by a professional luthier.

If you must tinker (and I've been there in my youth - and made really dumb mistakes), I suggest going the "partscaster" route - plenty of second-hand non-Fender Tele and Strat bodies, necks and hardware for sale on the 'Net. Find out how an electric guitar is put together and how you make the appropriate componentry choices.

RN

Archived