Gibson Brands Forums

How Does Santana Get That Sustain on Europa?

Mr. Robot

This has always intrigued me, given it is an old recording with none of todays special effects.

Does anyone know how Santana achieved the incredible sustain on the track Europa?

My initial thought was he might have used a Big Muff, which was available when he recorded it.

Anyone done any research on Santana's rig?

What year did that song come out?

It was on the "Moonflower" double album which came out in '77.

In addition to the previous suggestions I'd just add that a lot of the 'sustain' is harmonically induced feedback - so all he needed to do was crank the volume up and be very careful...

My initial thought was he might have used a Big Muff' date=' which was available when he recorded it.[/quote']

I seem to remember reading that he did have an E-H Big Muff Pi as well.

From what I understand' date=' during the sound check, Carlos would move around untill he found the sweet spot & then mark it so he can find it during the show.

Craig[/quote']

This is the answer live and in the studio. If you here him live he doesn't always make it the whole length. I had a song with my last band that myself and the singer/guitarist held a feedback note for several verses in a song and we always had to try to find the right spot to be able to pull it off.

Archived