Gibson Brands Forums

Classic or Custom

cowgard

I'm torn between two Craig's list LPs. One is a mint 2001 Classic for a grand that I mentioned in an earlier post. The other is a 1976 Custom in what I would call very good condition for a couple of hundred bucks more. Any advice on which is the best deal. I hear all the "Norlin" slamming so that's makes me nervous about the '76. Thanks, David

I'm torn between two Craig's list LPs. One is a mint 2001 Classic for a grand that I mentioned in an earlier post. The other is a 1976 Custom in what I would call very good condition for a couple of hundred bucks more. Any advice on which is the best deal. I hear all the "Norlin" slamming so that's makes me nervous about the '76. Thanks' date=' David[/quote']I'm sticking with my original statement (from MLP).;)

Good lookin' out on two forums rockstar. Thanks' date=' David[/quote']I always keep two tabs open. lol

The best thing to do is, play them both, because each will have their own unique characteristics that can either make of break them. I own a '01 Classic and it is by far one of the best LPs I've ever played.

As far as Norlins go, they're very hit or miss (especially in their construction), which is one of the reasons I'm not a fan, but as I said, the best way to decide (for yourself) is to play them both and whatever one feels best to you is IMHO the better deal.

Good luck.[biggrin]

Dennis

I agree that you really should try them both, if possible, as they will be very different instruments.

My experience is similar to rockstar232007's. I have a couple of Classics and they are about the best playing LP's I've ever tried.

I had a Norlin-era Custom a long time ago and it was rubbish. I know there are a lot of good Norlins - they may be in the large majority for all I know - but it does seem to be a bit 'hit-or-miss', unfortunately.

$1200 for a 76 custom.... Gee I hope you "like" that guitar.... If its all original you could double your money... Easily... Where is this guitar, if you don't buy it, I would like to contact the seller... You can PM me...

You should also consider the neck profile' date=' if that makes a difference to you. Classics have Slim Taper '60's profile, I believe Customs have 50's profile.[/quote']

Not a mid 70s Les Paul Custom. Mid 70s les pauls have slim necks, some also have three piece maple necks instead of one piece mahogany.

Actually it turns out it going to be 400 more for the Custom but still sounds like that's the way to go. David
Just remember' date=' just because it's "old" doesn't meant that is good. Do your reaserch first, play them, then decide. You WON'T regret it.[cool']

Just remember' date=' just because it's "old" doesn't meant that is good. Do your reaserch first, play them, then decide. You WON'T regret it.[cool']

I took your good advice and ultimately I passed on it. I want a guitar to keep me happy, not for resale. My question was what was the best deal but that wasn't really accurate I guess. Thanks everyone. My quest continues.

I went to Vegas to check on the Ebony Classic but on the way I stopped at guitar center and played some guitars. I really like the Vintage Burst Traditional Pro they have. Locking tuners, coil tap, burst buckers,slim neck, and that Pleked thing is no joke. Off the rack the action was really low and not a bit of buzz. The Traditional plus has a prettier top for a few hundred bucks more but the neck is not as nice for me and the Pro has cool old vibe with the yellowed binding and the natural finish back and neck. I postponed the Craig's list appointment. I really like that Trad Pro and with a 15% trade in discount hmmmm?

Archived