Gibson Brands Forums

Sore fingertips that don't seem to get better

anzafrank

I have been trying to get back in to playing for about 7 years ever since I bought a 1986 J-30. It's had a good set up, and the action is nice and low, but even with calluses I start hurting after only 5 minutes, and am only good for maybe 30 minutes depending what I'm playing before I have to put it down. Then the next day, I'm good for maybe 5, so I can only play every other day. Makes it a bit hard when friends drop in to play on the day that I've practiced, or if I simply want to practice longer. People practice for 2 or 3 hours a day without pain!

I got back into playing Mando about a year ago, and forced myself to hit it every day, but the soreness would only allow limited time before being forced to stop. Thats after playing every day for about 3 months, and picking up the guitar and banjo in between. I read that playing while fingers are sore can cause damage, but how to improve the situation if you don't? Any tips? Thanks,

Frank

Guest rogerb

I have a bluegrass pickin' friend who puts super glue on his fingertips. He says it gets him through a gig. You might give it a try.

I have a bluegrass pickin' friend who puts super glue on his fingertips. He says it gets him through a gig. You might give it a try.

I've heard that before but never tried it yet. My calluses are fairly thick, and I wonder if it's the nerves below the skin. I will try the super glue. Thanks,

Frank

When was the last time you had your blood glucose level checked?

Ailments at the extremities can be a sign of blood sugar problems. Don't ignore it.

It was tested 2 months ago, and was not bad enough for meds, but it could be better. I can't eat sweets or carbs.

Frank

I knew this old guy back in Mississippi who swore that soaking his fingers in rubbing alcohol or vinegar several minutes each day helped.

I heard the same about alcohol, but never tried it.

Frank

When I started playing the upright bass Jazz style (endless pizzicato playing with these very heavy strings), I had blisters after blisters. For a year or so there was no end in sight, I really wondered if I was gonna be able to continue on the bass. One fine day the problem was gone and I was fine. If all else failed, patience helped me.

Hey, anzafrank, what hurts exactly? The flesh of your fingertip, or your fingernail, or the bones? Do you get blisters? Can you describe the pain?

When I started playing the upright bass Jazz style (endless pizzicato playing with these very heavy strings), I had blisters after blisters. For a year or so there was no end in sight, I really wondered if I was gonna be able to continue on the bass. One fine day the problem was gone and I was fine. If all else failed, patience helped me.

Hey, anzafrank, what hurts exactly? The flesh of your fingertip, or your fingernail, or the bones? Do you get blisters? Can you describe the pain?

It was tested 2 months ago' date=' and was not bad enough for meds, but it could be better. I can't eat sweets or carbs.

Frank

[/quote']

Well at least you're keeping an eye on it. Then again, glucose meters are relatively cheap now. Get a cheap one and check yours once in a while between doctor visits. Not saying that is your problem, but pain or tingling in the finger tips and toes is one symptom. The trick to surviving diabetes with all of your limbs and eye sight intact is early detection.

When I started playing the upright bass Jazz style (endless pizzicato playing with these very heavy strings)' date=' I had blisters after blisters. For a year or so there was no end in sight, I really wondered if I was gonna be able to continue on the bass. One fine day the problem was gone and I was fine. If all else failed, patience helped me.

Hey, anzafrank, what hurts exactly? The flesh of your fingertip, or your fingernail, or the bones? Do you get blisters? Can you describe the pain? [/quote']

I never get blisters as I have calluses, and the pain feels like it's coming from the bones.

Frank

Well at least you're keeping an eye on it. Then again' date=' glucose meters are relatively cheap now. Get a cheap one and check yours once in a while between doctor visits. Not saying that is your problem, but pain or tingling in the finger tips and toes is one symptom. The trick to surviving diabetes with all of your limbs and eye sight intact is early detection.[/quote']

Thanks Tommy,

I have been seeing a indocrynoligest (SP) so I think it's being watched. I work out 4 days per week, and walk every day, although I sprained my right akiles doing a runners stretch and can't walk real far now, and I'm 40 lbs. over.

Frank

Thanks Tommy' date='

I have been seeing a indocrynoligest (SP) so I think it's being watched. I work out 4 days per week, and walk every day, although I sprained my right akiles doing a runners stretch and can't walk real far now, and I'm 40 lbs. over.

Frank[/quote']

Could be Rheumatism caused by prolonged exposure to moist places.

The fix would be to stop picking your nose!

Actually, I'd be concerned about Arthritis. Have you tried taking 2 asprin, (not Tylenol), before playing?

Actually' date=' I'd be concerned about Arthritis. Have you tried taking 2 asprin, (not Tylenol), before playing?[/quote']

I've been taking one aspirin a day for a long time. They're good for you.

Could be Rheumatism caused by prolonged exposure to moist places.

The fix would be to stop picking your nose!

Actually' date=' I'd be concerned about Arthritis. Have you tried taking 2 asprin, (not Tylenol), before playing?[/quote']

Actually I spend a lot of time picking my nose. How did you know? I take fish oil and a baby asprin daily. It's very hard to play and pick my nose at the same time, and my wife is always yelling at me for doing it. It grosses her out. I should have known. Arthritis might be it. Still like your Ruger. Very strong, and doesn't make my fingers sore. Thanks,

Frank

Have you sought the advise of a Neurologist as you might have neuropathy issues. It's a small possibility but should be considered never the less. Good luck.

No I haven't. I think the VA would laugh at me, or just be themselves and not care. Can you think of anything else Doc?

Frank

Fellas, it's kind of you to all try to help, but you should read the thread. OP is not talking about a lack of calluses or sensitive skin. He's basically talking about a deep bruise under the skin. No amount of pickle juice of lotion is going to affect that.

Fellas' date=' it's kind of you to all try to help, but you should read the thread. OP is not talking about a lack of calluses or sensitive skin. He's basically talking about a deep bruise under the skin. No amount of pickle juice of lotion is going to affect that.[/quote']

I got that... which is why asprin was suggested, etc. I take a 81 mg asprin a day for cholostol, but I was thinking maybe two 200 mg for inflamation.

I don't recommend going to the VA, they just infected like 1800 people with HIV... I mean man, his fingers could fall off!

Archived