Gibson Brands Forums

SG Bridge Replacement

Phil K

Howdy. I recently purchased a new bridge for my SG. Turns out that the thread size of the mounting studs isn't the same as the orginal. The new bridge came with its own studs and "insertable nuts" that have splines on the OD which apparently press into the wood of the guitar body. My problem is getting the original nuts out of the body. Does anyone know if they are bonded in, or can I simply pull them out?

Thanks!

Phil K

Why are you changing the original bridge mounts? Are they damaged? Stripped?

If not, why not use a Gibby replacement bridge?

I wouldn't pull and replace the anchors unless I had no choice. I put a locking roller bridge from Stew-Mac on my LP, it fit on the old posts.

Many Asian made aftermarket parts are not direct replacements for original Gibson parts due to the English-Metric conversions.

A "Genuine" Gibson replacement part should do the trick.

Also of note, there are three different types of Gibson bridges:

Nashville

ABR-1

Harmonica

Gibson sells replacement ABR-1's and Nashvilles, I'm not sure about the "harmonica" bridge. It was originally made for Gibson by Schaller, and might be available from them.

It is possible to pull the "threadserts" from the body with a small gear-puller type tool, but unless the threads are stripped out (which is VERY uncommon), there is absolutely no reason to do so, you just need the correct bridge.

Archived