Gibson Brands Forums

p-90's Vs. 57 classic

sg man

Guest BentonC

Both are great, but they are hard to compare. Apples and oranges to me. My preference is P-90s, but I do also like the 57s...

All depends on if your a single coil or humbucker lover. I personally think the best setup is a 57 (or another humbucker) in the brige and a P90 (or single coil) on the neck.

+1.. This setup is killer!

The only way I can describe the difference (for me) is that '57's "Shimmer" and "Scream,"

and P-90's are more of a Growl! A BIG, FAT, ROUND Growl! And, at lower gains (clean),

very atriculate. The Only thing, that puts me off, sometimes, about P-90's is the noise,

that goes along with single coil pickups. But, really, that's only annoying, in a "studio/recording"

situation. Most "Live" gigs, it's not really much of a problem. And, there's always "noise gates,"

for that.

CB

Both p-90's and '57's are good pickups. The 490R and 498T are also good pickups. These however all all DIFFERENT so it depends on what floats your boat.

If you really want to get that Vintage "WHO" sound and/or that great Mississippi Queen sound, you need the P90s.

well im looking for that classic rock sound like acdc and led zeppelin and realy what im asking because I want the guitar to be stock 61 reissue vs the classic with p-90's. Oh and the amps that I would be using are my 1979 peavey classic and my fender blues junior.

The only way I can describe the difference (for me) is that '57's "Shimmer" and "Scream' date='"

and P-90's are more of a Growl! A BIG, FAT, ROUND Growl! And, at lower gains (clean),

very atriculate. The Only thing, that puts me off, sometimes, about P-90's is the noise,

that goes along with single coil pickups. But, really, that's only annoying, in a "studio/recording"

situation. Most "Live" gigs, it's not really much of a problem. And, there's always "noise gates,"

for that.

CB[/quote']

You can growl with a set of 57's and a good amp, ill post some clips some time.. but its probibly easier with p90's

You gave two great pickups to choose a favorite. At the risk of being a Gibson suckup, I have to say Gibson proves they are the one to catch when it comes to pickups. The P90 is still an amazing sounding pickup thru the right amp. I have a SG classic and absolutely love the sound. Course the 57s are also fantastic pickups that have been used in countless great songs by great artists. Hard to go wrong with either one but if forced to only have one or the other... I'd have to go for P90s. Yes they are an old design but they also happen to be a fantastic design that really sing thru the right tube amp.

Archived