Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help Choosing a Les Paul

Gibson4life

That puts you right smack dab in the middle of R8 land. I just got one recently and i love it! You can probably have a few bucks left in the end too. R8 is a 1958 reissue that the custom shop builds.

Pics here

Good luck with the decision, you're a great gift giver for sure [biggrin]

I wouldn't take him shopping WITH you, that doesn't really make it a present, that's like shopping for yourself; I mean you could, if you don't care about a surprise or not, but I'm pretty sure if my girlfriend brought home an R8 for me, I would be shitting joy.

And for your price range, an R8 is really the way to go. There's no better Les Paul in that price range, and it is my 2nd favorite Les Paul, the R9 being the first. Good luck, and I hope it all works out.

I wouldn't take him shopping WITH you' date=' that doesn't really make it a present, that's like shopping for yourself; [/quote']

gonna disagree. if someone was buying me a LP, i would prefer to have my pick. i have played lots of guitars that i did not like at all. i wouldnt complain if someone surprised me with one, but given the choice.....

The thing about the R0 is that this is the 50th anniversary year, i thought the price of them was sky high (mostly because of that).

Differences are the neck profile (but you should try out each individual guitar as they're all a little different. The top (The R8 is a plain top, the R0 is flamed) and i think there are reflector knobs on the R0.

Here's a thread talking through some differences as well:

Reissue Guitar Differences

$3500 is a lot of money for a gift so I'd want to make sure that he got exactly what he wanted for that kind of $$. 'Cause if you don't know what to get him --- what if you choose the wrong guitar?

I'd go to a guitar store and ask for a Gibson catalog (assuming there is such a thing), wrap it and present it as a gift.

If there isn't a catalog, buy some sort of Gibson item --- a pick, strap or a guitar cleaning kit --- and wrap it with a card stating that this Gibson item can be used with his new Gibson that you are going to buy for him.

Blessed is the person who's partner will drop $3500 on them for a guitar. Very cool indeed. I'll throw in my vote for an R8. It may not be exactly what they want but I can't imagine anyone turning their nose up at one either.

Well, sounds like you got "Les Paul's" covered. If "I" had that kind of budget,

and already had some LP's...I'd look at an ES-345! For a bit different tone

pallete, and some more versatility. But, anyway you go, I'm sure he'll be

thrilled! And...what a nice girlfriend, you are! ;>)

CB

Archived