Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement for Bridge Pickup!!!!

therookie_123

Hello dudes and dudettes (is tht how u spell it?), I own this beautiful ES 335 Dot Reissue and i love the sound on this puppy. While the twin '57 Classics do the job for just about any genre, I am looking to expand my guitar's musical vocabulary. Basically I would to replace it for something with more output but something that cleans up a bit when the volume is rolled down and the distortion is clicked off (and perferably something that has a 4 wire conducter). I have been looking at the 500T but I am not sure yet.

The big question on the pickup is the Alnico II vs. Alnico V vs. Ceramic pickups. I was wondering if anyone could shine some light on this! I play music in multiple genres from Blues, Rock, and Punk to Reggae, R & B, and Jazz.

Guest BentonC

My vote would be for the 498T. This is an Alnico V pickup, which will have most of the warmth of the Alnico II's, but some added treble and tighter bottom end. Alnico II magnets are the warmest we use (57 Classic), then the Alnico Vs are brighter (BB Pro, 498T), and the ceramic magnets are pretty over the top bright and most are wound hot (500T).

The 500T is a totally different sound from what you have- bright, loud, crisp, and pretty flat response on the bottom end. Great for really hard rock, punk, metal, etc...

Archived