Gibson Brands Forums

Faded Mahoghany or Studio Faded?

truetone6

I bought this used yesterday.It is a 2008 model. I thought it was a Vintage Mahogany,then I read the Gibson website that it is a Studio Faded. I think they are the same guitar with different names and maybe Vintage Mahogany is the Musicians Friend name for the same model.

Only thing I wondered is some places say they have Bustbucker Pros and others say they have 490R/498T

Any idea which model mine is and which pickups it has without taking it apart(I just had a nice setup done)? I'm guessing Burstbuckers because they have a brighter sound than the 490R/498Ts in a studio I used to have but I am just going by memory.

100_9430-1.jpg

100_9432-1.jpg

100_9435-1.jpg

Guest BentonC

Hi truetone6,

This is a LP Studio Faded, but it is also referred to as the Vintage Mahogany (due to the mahogany top...). The pickups should be Burstbucker Pros. Nice guitar!

What's the deal with Samick. It's beautiful. I ask because I have a Strat copy that is a Silvertone by Samick. Iknow nothing about it except it seems like a well made guitar and I bought it at a local CD, Video store for 69 bucks about 10 years ago. David

Samick is a Korean company with a reputation for some quality instruments. From the late-80s until the early-2000s, they were responsible for much of the Epiphone solidbody line. They also produced guitars under their own name, and more recently as Greg Bennett Guitars.

Archived