Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Humidipak-How long until it works?

So I purchased a Humidipak system for my new J200 PT and installed it 3 days ago. The packs were a bit clay like so I massaged them back into a gel and properly seated them in the guitar and case along with a Planet Waves digital hygrometer. The Dallas area has been very humid lately so the house has been at 50% RH and 75 degrees. The case was at 48%RH prior to the Humidipak install. Three days have gone by and the case has gone up to 49%RH, which is above the 45% they claim the Humidipak should be. Any suggestions or is the Humidipak a waste of money? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Couldn't comment on how long a HumidiPak might take to have any effect on a guitar's moisture content, but I do think outside of extreme conditions folks seem to worry way too much about their guitar's "comfort". Unless one lives in the desert, the arctic or a jungle along the equator I don't think humidity control is a big deal. You live in Dallas, yes? I lived there for many years and never had a humidity-related problem with any of my guitars, left in or out of their cases. I'm sure there are many, many others that would beg to differ, but outside of extremes of climate, I think guitar humidity control is a waste of time and money. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

You're definitely right about Dallas but I'm afraid in the winter it will be very low. I have a special system on my grand piano to raise humidity in the winter and thought the humidipak would work for the guitar. Thanks.

the house has been at 50% RH and 75 degrees. The case was at 48%RH prior to the Humidipak install. Three days have gone by and the case has gone up to 49%RH' date=' which is above the 45% they claim the Humidipak should be. [/quote']

[biggrin]

So if the guitar was sitting on the couch it would be at 50%?

:-k

I'm with Buck- you're in he good humidity range, everything is OK.

Besides- all those humidity readouts are usually accurate to +-3%, even +- 5% and if that is the case then all of your readings are the same.

My theory of what makes old guitars great guitars says that part of their great sound comes from all those fluctuations in humidity causing swelling and shrinking- frees up the top and makes'em sound better. Keeping a guitar at constant humidity will rob it of all those stresses that in the end make for a great guitar. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.[biggrin]

I also live in Dallas, and I haven't humidified any of my guitars since March or April. I* have a couple hygrometers (I take the average of their combined readings) and it hasn't dropped under 45% in months. Heck, it's been up to 70 a few days!

Long story short, you don't need to humidify right now. I've let several of mine out to sit on a stand, even.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess i will just worry about it in the winter when the heat comes on. I'm probably a bit overprotective due to having a grand piano that I try to keep humidified so I don't have to have it tuned ever 30 days. My painocsoundboard is in great shape after 15 years, not a crack and it's also AAA solid Sitka spruce as well. Cheers.