Gibson Brands Forums

Out of tune Les Paul Custom...

leovan83

Hello...

I own a beautiful '09 Les Paul Custom in Silverburst with the chrome hardware. I bought this guitar online through Private Reserve Guitars, great service. They sent the guitar after performing their "premium set-up", and they used the same strings that shup with the guitar originally, the Vintage Reissue 10's. The guitar is tuned in standard E tuning.

Since I got the guitar, the only issue I have with it is that it goes out of tune almost all the time, after 5 minutes of playing, I have to re-tune it. The action feels great, there's no buzz and everything seems right, but I wonder if there's something else that needs to be done in order to gain some tuning stability since it has become a bit of a problem. Let me know since I don't really know how to set-up my guitar but I'm willing to learn.

Thanks!!

I would try to lube the nut. Graphite works well, they carry it in most hardware stores to lube lock with. Walmart carries it in the key making department. Loosen each string, and "squirt" a little graphite in each slot in the nut. See if that solves your problem.

Might also hit the saddles at the same time. And this may be a "stretch"(pun intended) but were the strings ever stretched when installed? Try pulling up on each gently a few times to stretch them. If none of the above works, I'd consider re-stringing it (you also didn't mention how long the strings have been on the guitar). Is there an excess amount of winding string around the pegs? Too much can be a cause of this if they stretch. Also, see how the string is captured where it goes through the tuning peg. If they slip there, another potential source. Doesn't take much at all (obviously) for the string to go out of tune.

Mix graphite powder with Vaseline and place in slots with a toothpick. If you hear a pinging noise while tuning, the strings are catching in the nut and it will have to be opened a bit. Check the angle of the strings between the saddle and stopbar. It the strings are hitting the back of the saddle, this could causing you trouble as well.

Might also hit the saddles at the same time. And this may be a "stretch"(pun intended) but were the strings ever stretched when installed? Try pulling up on each gently a few times to stretch them. If none of the above works' date=' I'd consider re-stringing it (you also didn't mention how long the strings have been on the guitar). Is there an excess amount of winding string around the pegs? Too much can be a cause of this if they stretch. Also, see how the string is captured where it goes through the tuning peg. If they slip there, another potential source. Doesn't take much at all (obviously) for the string to go out of tune.[/quote']

The strings have been changed 3 times since I bought it, but the problem was present since day 1. The strings do get strectched a bit, I usually stretch them out a bit while putting them on the guitar. Now, I do wrap them around the pegs a lot, I thought it was the right way?

Could this be related to the truss rod or something like that?

Now' date=' I do wrap them around the pegs a lot, I thought it was the right way?[/quote']

In addition to what's been suggested, I would like to add a little insight to your comment above.

Three wraps around the tuning peg is optimum in all cases for all steel strings. Too many and the excessive windings can stretch around the peg, and too few the string can slip around the peg.

But... MOST tuning problems are caused by the strings binding in the nut. Either because the slots are cut too narrow, OR the top of the nut was not filed down properly to allow for the strings to only be "cradled", not embedded, OR the top of the nut and/or slots were not filed/cut on the correct angle, OR a combination there of. On a properly shaped nut you should be able to feel the top of the strings when running a finger across the fingerboard side edge, and the slots and top should be angled down toward the headstock side so only the very edge (at the fingerboard side) is holding the string.

Lubrication on the nut is a temporary fix, but will confirm if this is indeed your problem. The only permanent solution is to have the nut properly cut and shaped, in which case it will never need lube.

As L5Larry and the others have said, the nut is the most common culprit with tuning issues. Not the only one but the most common. If you hear a "ping" when you tune the guitar then that indicates the string is binding at the nut and it needs to be cut properly. Lubrication with graphite or "nut sauce" ( found at stew mac or other repair suplliers) may solve the issue.

My suggestion is to try the lubrication first and if that doesn't solve the problem then take it to a qualified tech and have them go over it with you.

Archived