Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 61 reissue

Ronnie Robinson

Hi, I own an SG Standard but have recently been toying with the idea of selling it and getting the 61 reissue. I will be trying before I buy which will be the main deciding point but I just wondered if any of u guys who now own a 61 and maybe had a Standard consider it worth it ? Whats the plus points over the Standard? or the negative points for that matter? Cheers

As you already got the 57 classic in your standard theres no big difference. The neck on the 61 has the slim 60th profile while the standard got 50th round neck. Pickguard and headstock are diffrent to. I have them both. The 61 is flawless, while the standard got some minor things. Nothing i really care about, but i feel the workmanship on the 61 is better. But i love my new ebony standard.

well much thinner neck wether that is good or bad for you I dont know and on the standard the neck joint is at the 19 fret but on the 61 reissue it is on the 22 some people say that standard neck joint is stronger but not enough to realy make a difference there is a wider headstock on the 61 reissue for vintage looks there are also thiner carved horns so that somtime makes it so it has a thinner body and that is about it.

i sold my two sg standards to get the 61 RI, it really pleased me to the bone, i enjoy the classic tone from the 57's especially after i swapped the original caps with the 500ks and installed the seymours phat cat! i could get the p90s classic tone!

well much thinner neck wether that is good or bad for you I dont know and on the standard the neck joint is at the 19 fret but on the 61 reissue it is on the 22 some people say that standard neck joint is stronger but not enough to realy make a difference there is a wider headstock on the 61 reissue for vintage looks there are also thiner carved horns so that somtime makes it so it has a thinner body and that is about it.

I regret to disagree sgman, the neck joint on the 1961 reissue is at the 19th fret. Gibson doesn't make SG's with neck joints at the 22nd fret anymore as far as I know. You can rotate the guitar in the following site 360 deg. and count the frets.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-61-Reissue.aspx

Rewd.

I regret to disagree sgman' date=' the neck joint on the 1961 reissue is at the 19th fret. Gibson doesn't make SG's with neck joints at the 22nd fret anymore as far as I know. You can rotate the guitar in the following site 360 deg. and count the frets.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-61-Reissue.aspx

Rewd.

[/quote']

Uhmmm...

Sure looks like 22 to me. No where near 19.

Archived