Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone vs gibson?

Naradien

Read very carefully and you'll start to recognize that amongst the marketing descriptions there is a lot of detailed information about the construction and features. Then you realize that there really are no parts on a Gibson that are also on an Epiphone.

The pickups on Epis are "Designed by" Gibson, but are not the same (one Epiphone web site link even brings you to a guitar magazine review that says the pickups are brittle).

The wire in Epis is cheap and noisy. The pots are Alphas (decent enough but have a different feel than Gibson pots). They seem to have listened to complaints and beefed up the selector switch but it's still not a Switchcraft. Ditto on the output jack. All this can be fixed, but at a price.

The bridges are Nashville style with large metric threaded posts and metallic threaded inserts in the top; Gibsons have older design ABR-1 bridges with thin posts threaded directly into the top. The older style bridge seems more fragile but the newer style is not thought to sound the same. Now here's the thing I really didn't like about the epi bridge is it's slapped on with pre-notched saddles - so on a given guitar the string spacing might not even line up with the pickups. At Gibson the strings are spaced proportionally by a well-experienced eye and the saddles are individually marked and notched.

The bodies on Epis are veneered maple caps over mahogany bodies. Very pretty, nice flame, but not the same as a solid maple cap.

Epis have polyester finishes - thick and glassy and durable. Gibsons have nitrocellulose lacquer that's a little closer in its chemical ancestry to the finishes used on the vintage guitars - you know, the stuff that checks and fades and shrinks and makes the cork-sniffers go all woozy. I'm not hiding my preference for modern, durable, pretty finishes, but there are people who really like nitrocellulose so Gibson still uses it (Fender gave up on it in 1968).

Necks on Epis are maple instead of mahogany (Elitist might be constructed more like Gibbies).

In general the Epi neck profiles are much fatter than Gibsons, but this varies from model to model.

There might be other subtle differences, like chrome as opposed to nickel plating.

Sorry to say it, but a grand won't get you over the hump into quality territory anymore. Nothing wrong with an Epiphone, just understand they're made differently and they have a few things about them that might require another few hundred in upgrades. I don't knock the country of origin, they turn out to have a very very nice fit and finish.

U.S.A. CHINA WHAT WILL you DICIDE. but you get a epi lp standard and up grade the pickups:-k

If it is between a Studio and an Epi you should get an Epi custiom they are only 600 bucks and that's at least a hundred bucks less than a Studio.

If it is between a Studio and an Epi you should get an Epi custiom they are only 600 bucks and that's at least a hundred bucks less than a Studio.

Do you honestly think an Epi LP Custom is as good as a Gibson LP Studio? :D

Naradien,

The posts above seem to indicate to stay away from the "Normal" cheap Epiphone Les Pauls.

I've never owned one so I can't comment on them.

But I would recommend that you look at the Epiphone Elitists, you could probably pick up a new one within your budget. (Or look for a second-hand Elite, or a second-hand Gibby)

Here's some info on Elite/Elitists:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Elitist-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Electric-Guitar-518401-i1150020.gc

http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/details.htm

(Click on the photos for more info)

Good luck in your search!

I dunno guys, and I'm no doubt gonna ruffle some feathers here, but I own a "normal" (relative) Epi Les Paul Classic (I din know the necks maple!), and being totally objective, because I've owned a Gibson too, that 500.00 dollar guitar is far and away one of the best guitars I've ever owned in 38 years of playing guitars. I've had various models of Fender, 4 Gibsons, 1 Squier, 2 pre-Gibson Kramers, 1 Fernandes, 1 Yamaha, 1 Ovation, a Kent 335 copy that was pretty nice too, got stolen, an Ampeg SG wannabe, and that Epiphone. And I'd rate it right up there with each of the Gibson guitars I've had. My only complaint with the Epiphone was the pickups, which I replaced with some old T-tops, and they opened it right up, and a few other things I've done not because they had to be done, but because I could. And the nice thing about the Epi is I'm not as nervous about doing mods to it as I would be any of the Gibsons I've had. But then again, I've heard of guys more than once modding their Gibsons, not to mention the fact I'm a lot more comfortabe playing out with my Epi than it's almost 2000.00 dollar counterpart, just my 2.

i hear good things about the Elitists but have never seen one here in Indy. I played the Ultra, which wasn't too bad. But Gibson it is for me.

I am spoiled though. After playing a Standard, my old beat up Studio which I played for over 10 years doesn't seem so great. And now my R8 has ruined my Standard. So my advice is to just save up and buy a used R7 or R8. :D/ They totally kick *** and are the top of the Gibson product line.

i hear good things about the Elitists but have never seen one here in Indy.

I have an Epi Elitist LP and am always reminded of how good they are everytime I pick it up to play. Compares VERY favorably with the Gibby LP Standard I picked up recently.

Do you honestly think an Epi LP Custom is as good as a Gibson LP Studio? :D

Well' date=' if you retop the Epi LP Custom, change all the electronics and get new hardware to match all of the specs of the Gibson LP Studio, maybe. But if you did all of that (and not to mention adding the $600 of what you would pay to buy the guitar) would probably be [b']way[/b] more expensive than just buying the Gibson Les Paul Studio. I agree with AS90, we have to accept the fact that Epiphones aren't Gibsons!

However, I will say this: Epiphone Elitists are very good guitars, but they cost about as much as a Gibson LP Studio.

I got my hands on a TON of different new and used LP's from Epi and Gibson this past Saturday, it is great to be able to run thru a full range of new/used standard Epi's (they now have new Elitist's in stock at this shop as well), Elitists, and new/ used Gibbies. First of all, NOT EVEN CLOSE imo!!!!! Now first things first, I love Epi's as they are an LP, look great, and are a great sounding and feeling instrument for the price. BUT, it is what it is. Do most people here know, or many people at all for that matter, know that if the standard Epi line is actually constructed with actual mahogany, that it is pure random luck??!!! Some are an alder/mahogany multi-mystery mix. NO caps to even speak of now. All mahogany "type" BODIES, with a veneer, plain or plus. Veneers on the backs as well!!! YIKES!!! Then theres the electronics and the hardware, not close, really. The Elitist is far beyond the regular Epi line, and truly are great guitars. Yes, the Elitist LP is constructed with a solid non-weight relieved back (2-piece), solid-maple cap (STILL VENEER!!), and quartersawn neck with long tennon, and Gibson USA pickups for Epiphone(haha Elitist owners usually use this as a bragging right, then "upgrade these 50R/60T pickups!), and a bone nut (this is good), poly finish, MIJ. STILL, the woods used are a distant "1b" to the woods that Gibson uses. All these "vintage spec" construction items with wood are pretty much negated by the actual woods used lol! Like I said, I had my hands on and played a full range of LP's this weekend and the difference was found. All I had to do was hold each guitar. Good, better, best. Epi's were a more than acceptible feeling and sounding guitar, especially for the money, but not pro-quality feeling. The Elitist felt like the real deal, sounded great, better than the regular Epi's. Good value for the most part $1150 for Standard Plus Top, $1099 for Customs (go figure?). But! Whether it be my own 06' Standard, or the new chambered Standards/Studios/Classics that I played, or the used (played a white 88' Studio that was on consignment that was maybe in the top 5 guitars I've ever played in my life!!!!!!!!!!), the Gibson did it for me just by holding it with my eyes closed. Then playing them (with eyes open obviously LOL) was the gravy. That unmistakable difference in tone, feel, playability and sound that you can only get with a Gibson LP. IMO, the properly set-up Gibson LP Studio, be it VM or regular is an unmatchable instrument in this type of guitar. Felt and sounded better to me than the Elitists that I played, on all fronts. Of course this is just my own opinion, but I have been an extreme GUITAR DORK for the better part of 15 years now, so, I grope quite a few guitars. Being floored with a guitar's bang for buck is one thing, maybe it has amazing value, but better is better, regardless of price. We all have a price threshold.

+1

owning 2 different guitars (different brand' date=' different model, different wood) loaded with the zakk wylde set (EMG active 81/85) that sound the same, i have to agree.

dont know why people buy 5K guitars and puts emgs in them... [/quote']

haha i agree with you!

Having an Epiphone and a Gibson I like both, right now I'm in the process of modifying my Epiphone, which has been somewhat difficult so in all honesty you'll get your money's worth out of a Gibson, which you can get a Studio for anywhere between $700 and $800 dollars. Just play a couple of each and see what suits you best.

Well me personally, I'd feel a lot better playing out with my 500 dollar Epiphone than, say, a 2000 dollar Gibson anytime! And, having had both, unless the Gibson was a complete dud, and my ears didn't hear it that way, my Epiphone was/is right up there with that 2000 dollar guitar I had. Granted, the Epi's been modified, I've also heard of these Gibson guys modding theirs too, so whats in a name anyway? The amount of money you fork over? And I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but it seems to me you A/Zed all those guitars biased toward Gibson. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing them at all, but I've owned a few Gibsons in my day, and this one Epiphone I paid 1/4 the asking price of the same Gibson counterpart, can hold it's own quite nicely (has in several occasions) against all but one so far, and I still think it was his amp, not the guitar (1998 Standard through a Marshall). I think you get what you can afford, and that's it. Be happy with what you've got, I know I am.

never played an epi that had the same sound and feel as a Gibbie. there is nothing wrong with the Epis, but you will never convince me that an Epi Std sounds and plays the same as Gibson Std.

Archived