Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a real or fake Gibson?

Big Bill

I found this on ebay and the guy is asking a nickle for it. Because of the price I am a little leery of its authenticity. Does anybody know anything about this pick. The seller says it's a 1966 reissue.

GibsonStandardCelluloidGuitarPicks1DozenBlackHeavy.jpg

looks the real deal to me, the logo looks ok and i'm not sure when gibson started putting the "pure" part on but i had it on the box that my gibson came in last year...and the (T) looks spot on.

i think it's real [biggrin]

Overpriced and not really all that awesome as they are made out to be.

If I were you I'd look around for a really good Epiphone pick instead. Spend some money to mod it and then you have a pick that is just as good as the Gibson one, but for a fraction of the cost.

and if you really must spend that much money on a pick, I'd go try a PRS one.

Overpriced and not really all that awesome as they are made out to be.

If I were you I'd look around for a really good Epiphone pick instead. Spend some money to mod it and then you have a pick that is just as good as the Gibson one' date=' but for a fraction of the cost.

and if you really must spend that much money on a pick, I'd go try a PRS one.[/quote']

I found some Epi picks for three cents. My luthier said he would polish it up for $100, do you think doing this would make the Epi pick as valuable as the Gibson?

It looks like a historic reissue to me--right down to the solid body, as opposed to the chambered or "weight-relieved" bodies that most of their picks come with these days. It's really much better for the tone and feel.

Some people say that the chambers result in added resonance and a thicker, rounder, warmer sound, but I prefer to my pick to be a little heavier. It just seems right that way.

Archived