Gibson Brands Forums

Random rants about country music

ksdaddy

There's a new-ish radio station about 40 miles from here. They play "classic country". I'm not much of a country fan but one day I was flipping around the dial and found them. I listened for a while and they played some old Hank Snow, Webb Pierce, "old" stuff. So I've left it on in the garage over the past few days as I've been doing body work on a friend's Toyota pickup.

I've made the following admittedly narrow minded observations:

1. Conway Twitty had no aversion to covering ANY pop song he could. And somehow making it sleazy and embarassing to listen to.

2. Conway Twitty, when singing a 'non' cover song, usually sang about getting into pants he ought not be attempting to get into.

3. Loretta Lynn has convinced me she's a country girl and proud of it. Many times over.

4. Tammie Wynette was never happy about anything, ever. I don't know how she didn't just step in front of a speeding truck.

5. I do not like Garth Brooks. Sing normal and maybe I'll give you another listen.

6. Around 1974 Steve Miller recorded "Mercury Blues". It was okay. In 1981 David Lindley and El Rayo X recorded it and restored my faith in music. In the early 90s Alan Jackson recorded it and I have been rinsing my ears out with bleach ever since.

7. Hank Williams Jr doesn't care much for anyone above the Mason Dixon Line. He did accept my ticket payment to see him in Caribou, ME, in 1972 however.

8. Hank Williams Jr hasn't sung many songs that didn't mention his father.

9. There's not much sobriety, faithfullness, or honesty in contry music. Great role models.

10. The pedal steel guitar is America's answer to the bagpipe.

You guys are really missing out. Hank Sr, Faron Young, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, Buck Owens, Hank Snow, all fantastic. There's plenty of new artists that are worth a listen too. Wayne Hancock, The Derailers and BR549 all do traditional styles of country. The contemporary crap that gets passed off as "Country" is nothing more than contrived, Pop Rock with a slight southern accent. I challenge anyone to avoid tapping their feet to a Wayne Hancock tune. [YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE] Or to the Derailers. [YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

There's a new-ish radio station about 40 miles from here. They play "classic country". I'm not much of a country fan but one day I was flipping around the dial and found them. I listened for a while and they played some old Hank Snow' date=' Webb Pierce, "old" stuff. So I've left it on in the garage over the past few days as I've been doing body work on a friend's Toyota pickup.

I've made the following admittedly narrow minded observations:

1. Conway Twitty had no aversion to covering ANY pop song he could. And somehow making it sleazy and embarassing to listen to.

2. Conway Twitty, when singing a 'non' cover song, usually sang about getting into pants he ought not be attempting to get into.

3. Loretta Lynn has convinced me she's a country girl and proud of it. Many times over.

4. Tammie Wynette was never happy about anything, ever. I don't know how she didn't just step in front of a speeding truck.

5. I do not like Garth Brooks. Sing normal and maybe I'll give you another listen.

6. Around 1974 Steve Miller recorded "Mercury Blues". It was okay. In 1981 David Lindley and El Rayo X recorded it and restored my faith in music. In the early 90s Alan Jackson recorded it and I have been rinsing my ears out with bleach ever since.

7. Hank Williams Jr doesn't care much for anyone above the Mason Dixon Line. He did accept my ticket payment to see him in Caribou, ME, in 1972 however.

8. Hank Williams Jr hasn't sung many songs that didn't mention his father.

9. There's not much sobriety, faithfullness, or honesty in contry music. Great role models.

10. The pedal steel guitar is America's answer to the bagpipe.

[/quote']

lol! I enjoyed that!...I used to like Hee Haw, but only for the ladies and the guitars.

9. There's not much sobriety' date=' faithfullness, or honesty in contry music. Great role models.

[/quote']

The songs may be about lying, but country music is one of the most honest forms. Jamey Johnson can make you feel like you're the one in those songs.

Great videos Cali'Man!

I agree with everything Ksdaddy says. That being said, I love country music! here's some old old stuff that crosses categories. Now just try and argue that this isn't good stuff!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I have a very low country tolerance. There are some sweet country git pickers like Brad Paisley and Merl H. I wish you could buy the music without the vocals. Reverand Horton Heat put out a country record thats friggin sweet. I can get into a little bit of blue grass, but all the pop-country stuff is piss poor. Old Crow Medicine Show is probably the best CD Ive heard in months. I guess I like it if it sounds like it was made 50+ years ago.

I think "Country" is kinda like "Rock:" both terms cover an awfully broad set of styles to the point the words are meaningless unless you add a time period.

So... I dunno. I admit I end up listening to recorded stuff off my computer nowadays 'stedda any radio station other than a "classic rock" station that plays about half that is so far past when I played rock for money that I don't recognize it. There are a lotta really good "country music" pickers and entertainers. They just may not always have stuff on the radio.

A guitar picker-singer-entertainer I know pretty well got a last minute two-night gig 'cuz an area "country rock" band didn't show up at the last minute. He thought he had a weekend mostly off for a change, but he's not complaining at all.

We were BS-ing and I think a really good point was made. "Kid bands," like I was in for rock, are often overwhelmed with efforts to sound and "look" good to meet their own expectations and hopes.

Older musicians and/or bands tend to realize that 90 percent of the time they're hired to help sell beer and whiskey and that, not the technical side of how they sound, is the determining factor in making money at it.

I think that's why "Country" music that's successful in today's marketplace tends to follow the latter trend - even though there are a lotta really good musicians involved with an ability to play a much bigger book than might seem there at first glance. But they're all aware of why and where they're likely to be paid for what kinda music.

Yeah, it sounds cynical, but... I know if I had 2-3 weeks to come up with a "country" gig around here, it'd be heavy on 50s through maybe the 70s with a cupla newer ones like "Amarillo by Morning," and heavy on outlaw stuff.

m

The songs may be about lying' date=' but country music is one of the most honest forms. Jamey Johnson can make you feel like you're the one in those songs.[/quote']

Those songs are usually a warning that less than desirable behaviors lead to no good.

Archived