Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Reviews

Rollie LeBay

It's tough to find a decent review on a guitar. Most of them on the Internet seem to be written by giddy new owners who haven't let the honeymoon effect wear off yet. Or maybe they delete the ones that Musician's Friend doesn't like?

The ones in magazines seem to be written by people whose jobs have been threatened if they offend an advertiser. Or maybe Teja Gerken really does like everything?

No one seems to have the intestinal fortitude to say, "DO NOT buy this guitar!"

Well, here's your chance to take pen in hand and tell everyone what you really think. It's a new guitar review website, and the owner is soliciting reviews. Thus far, the only acoustic review they have is for the Gibson Dove. So let 'er rip!

http://www.guitarsreviewed.com/

Uncle Buck

Thanks for the links, jkinnama! I'll do some browsing at those sites.

And I'm looking forward to reading your reviews over there, ballcorner! I really hope this guy makes it with the new site. Heck, I may even sit down and write up my guitars and submit them. A good repository of reviews helps narrow things down when I'm heeding the pangs of a new G.A.S. attack!

Uncle Buck

[-( Hoo Boy,

Here's a sample review from Harmony Central:

MAKE: Martin D-28

CRAFTSMANSHIP: Hey, it's a Martin!

SOUND: Hell--o! It's a Martin! Crisp highs, warm mids, thumpy bass! It's all there!!!!!!!

ACTION/FIT/FINISH: I like to strum open G chords in every room in the house. Everything from James Taylor to John Denver and it can handle it all, no prob.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: I called customer service at 3 a.m. freaking out about a slight buzz on the sixth string at the 11th fret and 10 minutes later I heard a helicopter circling above my house. Two luthiers smashed through my skylight clinging to ropes, brandishing tools necessary to diagnose and fix the problem. After a quick neck reset, they were on their way. Martin's warranty doesn't cover my skylight, so I give them a 7 out of 10.

OVERALL: I've owned every make of guitar: Gibson, Taylor, Martin, Collings, Fischer Price, and one thing is for certain -- my wives hated them all.

RATING: 20 out 10!!! Hello, people, it's a Martin!!

ROFLMAO! I only play guitars whose names begin with the letter "G" (or sometimes "E" if they're Masterbilts).

Why didn't I buy that dreadnought? Hell--o! It's a Martin! I bought the Guild GAD Chinese import that I played alongside all those D-28 variations. It buried them all for tone, playability, fit and finish, LOL! (True story - your experience may vary).

Now, before you rush out and pounce on a Taylor Big Baby, you might want to look at the Estebans. And American Musical is having a sale on Silvertone NASCAR Editions...

Uncle Buck [-(/

ROFLMAO! I only play guitars whose names begin with the letter "G" (or sometimes "E" if they're Masterbilts).

Now' date=' before you rush out and pounce on a Taylor Big Baby, you might want to look at the Estebans.

Uncle Buck =D>/ [/quote']

Sometimes E for Esteban? We all have dark secrets, buddy, feel free to express yourself. I tried to dress my nephew up as Esteban for Halloween but everyone thought he was Zorro, unmasked.

Sometimes E for Esteban? We all have dark secrets' date=' buddy, feel free to express yourself.[/quote']

Aaaaaiiiieee! Good heavens, NO! Read the rest of it! "...if they're Masterbilts"!!! Maybe I should just stick with the G's and leave E's alone. Too much chance of confusion! The horror! The horror!

And BC, you have to be nicer to your nephew. Oh the humanity! The poor kid may be scarred for life...

Uncle Buck =D>

No one seems to have the intestinal fortitude to say' date=' "DO NOT buy this guitar!"

Uncle Buck[/quote']

read my doubleneck review

something to the effect of spend your money elsewhere

I wrote four reviews for that site three days ago and none have been posted. I don't know what that means from the perspective of the host, but for me it represents an amount of time wasted. At Epinions.com, at least I know what I write is getting posted, and that is an important motivator.

You guys seem to know your acoustics, so let me pose a simple Q.=P~

I have several solidbody guitars, Gibsons, Fenders, Epi's.

I also have a couple of acoustics but not a REALLY good acoustic.

Concidering that my budget will be about $2500, i'd like each of your opinions on which Gibson, or Epi. Masterbilt acoustic would be the best purchase for the money. And which has the potential for the best "playing action".

I'm currently recording a blues CD, but want my notes clear and "chimey".

Any reply will be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm currently recording a blues CD' date=' but want my notes clear and "chimey".[/quote']

Well, how clear and chimey is the question. Mahogany always sounds clear and bright to me, and I love my '58 Country Western Reissue. So if you think mahogany would do it, a J-45 or Southern Jumbo would do fine.

But when you say clear and chimey, it makes me think maple. With a budget of $2500, if I was after the epitome of clear and chimey, I'd be thinking about one of these:

Gibson Historic J-185 Antique Natural

Buh-buh-buh-buh-BAD! Bad ta the bone! And clear and chimey, too!

Uncle Buck

Thank you both Uncle Buck, and Strummer.

I've played for 33 yrs now, and am leaning strongly toward solid(of course) maple/sitka(or adirondack).

I have a (solid)mohogany/cedar, that's fairly bright, and a (laminated)mohogany/sitka that gives a really "flat" tone for Lightnin' Hopkins style stuff.

I guess i'll end up going to my closest GC store, and trying a "pile" of good guitars out.

Archived