Gibson Brands Forums

Grovers vs. Gibson tuners

This must be a topic thats been rubbed into the ground ... but I can't find a topic like it so... I have 4 Gibbys with the green/deluxe Gibby tuners and 2 that have Grovers , the 2 with the Grovers stay in tune way better than the Gibson tuners,, I string all the guitars the same way and with the same gauge/brand D'addario strings , anyone have any input ??

I like Grovers much, much better. the first thing I did with my SG Classic was swap out the Gibson tuners for Grovers. I think you probably would get the same result from other tuners like Schaller, but I am loyal to Grovers. They are relatively inexpensive and have a very high-quality feel to them.

As a rule, I dislike the plastic tulip tuners on ANY solid-body electric guitar; just not my thing.

I once had a set of Grovers and had no problems.

A few years ago I had a set of 1964-era slotted-Klusons and had no problems..

:-

I now have three sets of Kluson 'Green-key' tuners and have had no problems...

:-k[biggrin]

What am I doing Right?

LOL!

I don't know about your problems, I'm afraid. The only times I have tuning issues is with my old Jap-built LP and Strat copies where cheaper machines were obviously the order of the day but even then I put their relatively lack of tuning-stability down to age/wear rather than anything else.

Sorry I can't help!

the 2 with the Grovers stay in tune way better than the Gibson tuners' date=', I string all the guitars the same way and with the same gauge/brand D'addario strings [/quote']

I copy that; I have Grovers on my ES-175 and even on my acoustic manouch jazz guitar (Dell'Arte) and had no problems what so ever ... though with my Gibson deluxe tuners on my LP ... :-

The current "Gibson Deluxe" tuners are manufactured by Grover. Personally, I think they're great and I like the way they look and feel. I won't swap to rotomatics (although I love rotomatics as well). I'd say your problems are more likely caused by issues with binding at the nut or bridge.

I think the Gibson tubers even have the same gear ratio as rotomatics. 14:1 right?