Gibson Brands Forums

Car reliability: In your experience...

heymisterk

When I say what country, I mean brands associated with that country. For instance, I know that Honda builds cars in America, but it is a Japanese company; Ford builds cars in Mexico, but is an American company.

For the record, Consumer Reports reliability data still shows Honda and Toyota to be the most reliable cars, especially as the years pass.

I gotta go with Japan too. I've got two mid '80's Mazdas that are still going STRONG. I'm not sure when Ford took over Mazda but I don't think it was in the 80's. My ex used to collect Datsun 240's and 260's and 280's. Bluebell as we called her, was a 1962 240 (with a 260 engine) and literally fell apart before the engine died. I turned the corner one day and the car crumbled (rust). I literally cried when we had her towed to the wreckers.

I think the Japanese brand are made with the intent to equal or exceed German quality - but they seem to get just a bit over their own heads with the engineering side. E.g., Toyota's ongoing problems and a number of other Japanese small pickup brands with little difficulties ranging from head gaskets that blow out annually on up.

The Koreans have really improved quality over the past 20 years, but IMHO try too hard to emulate the Japanese.

German stuff seems always to be good, but "cold."

I haven't owned a "car" in 20-some years, but except for when the fancier stuff shows up, Jeeps usually are right up there with anybody and the Ford, Chevy or Jimmy pickups tend to be very strong and reliable except for the fancier stuff.

Frankly I think some of the U.S. passenger car reliability started to disappear with the beginnings of the fuel mileage laws in the 1960s. Now it's all of them as they try to have all kinds of power, all kinds of interior amenities except room, and more electronic "power" than the entire U.S. war effort in WWII in a single vehicle. But pickups and utility vehicles seem to me to have held up much better. More comfortable, too, until air bag laws really forced bucket over bench seats.

m

Even though the Scion xB gave up the ghost after six short years, I've still got to vote Japanese. The Toyotas I've had have been stellar. Long lasting (relatively) and tight, with little maintenance required.

Every GM I've ever bought went Tango Uniform after two or three years, My Fords (the first issue F150 Crew Cab may have been the best vehicle I ever owned - but) lasted only a year or so longer...

I kinda hate cars.

On an unrelated note: I hauled out the Honda VTX after 18 months of neglect. New battery, and it fired up on the very first crank. There's something there, no doubt.

Even though the Scion xB gave up the ghost after six short years

Wow, that is really surprising for a Scion. What went wrong? I will say though that my '94 Honda Prelude had ABS sensor demons that took hundreds of dollars to fix. The best car I ever had was an '86 Honda Civic hatchback. Didn't even have air conditioning or power windows. Four speed manual. I sold that car with 190,000 miles and it was still running strong.

One of the best cars I've owned for general transportation was a "full size" mid 1980s Pontiac. It had pretty much everything for the time, and at 186,000 and I moved back to blizzard country, I figured I'd best swap for a Jeep. The only "trouble" was that the government crapalytic heater gave up after some 120,000 and hadda be replaced.

m

Wow' date=' that is really surprising for a Scion. What went wrong?

[/quote']

It developed a leak somewhere - When driving in the rain, the floor panels filled up with water and it ate up the seatbelt/airbag sensors. Estimate $700 - $1200 to make the light go off, not including finding/fixing the leak.

Bad luck, really, because I really liked the car. Bought it at $13k - got 35mpg. I'd have bought another one, if they were still the same.

The "new" ones are over $20K, with a bigger engine and less mileage.

I've had 2 American cars and 1 Jap. 87 Bronco XLT...it was cool and HUGE but a money and gas guzzler. After that I had a 94 Oldsmobile Cutless Cruiser....it died at just under 100K miles. What kinda sh!t is that? My 2001 Honda Accord V6 is at 144K and running strong. My next car will definitely be another Accord EX V6. Probably the sedan, though I really want the coupe.

Archived