Gibson Brands Forums

First post?

hi13ts

Jeez, I didn't expect the bass department to be completely dead. I haven't visited it before so I wouldn't know whether or not there was any traffic at all in this department. Anyway...

I own a 2007 model Gibson SG Reissue bass and I think a 2009 Thunderbird. Both in cherry or wine or whatever. I have to say, much like its guitar counterparts, these guys can do everything. I remember the old EB-0 bass. Terrible tonal quality...it was truly a pocket bass; it was very difficult to get it to accomodate to different genres. But Gibson went over the top with the Reissue. I can't imagine how great it sounds and how versatile is. Also, the short scale makes playing complex scales and bass solos truly a breeze.

The Thunderbird, while not as easy to play as the SG, contains the same tonal versatility. It has a heavier thump and can easily replace my Fender P-Bass. Great bass.

Gibson instruments are truly unbeatable. I use Gibson guitars and basses almost exclusively and have no complaints. With proper pedals and knob tweaking on the amp, I can emulate any tone I want. Most importantly, however, is the power packed into their instruments. I never have the need to boost or overly compress a signal from Gibson instruments. It's like they came out of the factory truly ready to play without any modification. Just plug into any amp regardless of setting and you'll be able to bathe in aural pleasantness.

IMO, Gibson has decided to put their engineering, money, and effort into their guitars. For example, they continue to offer the SG in various styles including a birch laminated body, 7 string Explorer, Robots/Dark Fires, etc. Gibson seems content to offer their old models like the SG, the OBO in the Epi model. I like the Ripper, but it's a limited edition and I believe too expensive.

I think Gibson makes the best guitar, but IMO, F----R makes a better bass because the company continues to improve their bass line.

Perhaps that's one of the reasons why the bass forum is so "dead".

I just want to add that I think Gibson basses are quality instruments. After all, they're made in the U.S. Although not made in the U.S. I had the short-scale SG Epi and really liked it. I eventually sold it to get a new 5 string F----r.

• 2 months later...

I just recently changed back to a SG Std. Bass, Worn Cherry. This is the first time I ran a Gibson through the Mesa M6 Carbine head and the Mesa Neodymium PowerHouse 2X12 cab. The amp settings were still set for the G&L SB-2 bass. When I turned on the amp the difference in power with the SG Std. was enormous. Almost all of the settings were way off. Gain, deep bass, regular bass, and master volume were at least two numbers to high. The mids. setting was able to go almost two numbers higher. The voice and treble stayed the same. For me anyway, 600 watts never sounded so good. The short scale was like an old friend again. I keep coming back to the Gibson. Bravo Gibson! Jack Bruce and Felix Pappalardi knew the Gibson sounds for both Cream and Mountain.

Archived