Gibson Brands Forums

So that's it? Gibson pickups can't handle super high gain?

Adri3nChaos

I have Gibson Les Paul studio model and I get hardcore amp squeal when I have it running into my Peavey Vypyr Modeling amp.. the setting I use is a Tube screamer stompbox, a recto Amp model and post gain and pregain all the way up.. Bass all the way up, Treble/high all the way up and mid all the way down And the only conclusion I can come to is the pickups on the les paul.. all my firends guitars, (Death metal suitable guitars like schecter, LTD, and Ibanez) They all work fine, even my crappy ibanez (first guitar) works better than my Les Paul.. Any suggestions? I think I might put EMG's on it but... I just wanted to see if there is a solution first

You don't have hi gain pickups on that guitar, I am not sure they are a good match for an Amp Model, maybe the settings for that particular model assume you will use a hi output pickup.

There are Gibson pickups that have pretty hi gain, like the 500T and the Tony Iommi Signatures and Dirty Fingers.

My Explorer has the 500T and it tears it up, further, when used with a Boss Metal Zone and Sonic Maximizer pedal it gets even better for metal.

I can't reccomend EMGs because I have never played a guitar with those pickups.

what pickups are in the studio? are they covered? wax potted? also sometimes the metal covers can cause microphonic feed back.

Now, how LOUD are you playing the amps anyway? are you playing them in an open area or enclosed with no sound reducing foam/carpet?

Also, all the gain all the way up with a booster??? that sounds good? I'd think it would be so distorted/noisy as to be unusable.

i have a 1995 studio. i played scooped out thrash for years.

maybe there is a loose connection or something. But the pickups are fine.

well, sounds like the threadstarter is playing everything dimed in a closed location. eventually vibrations transmitted through the guitar itself or to the pickup cavity will cause microphonic feedback.

If u want to maintain the Gibson vibe, you can always look into the Ceramic Pickups from Gibson. The 500T and the Dirty Fingers are both extremely high output. In terms of EMG, I have an old mid 80's Active EMG Humbucker in the Bridge position of my Strat. Also very high output. So either way you cant go wrong. Another tip, is tht if you do decide to go with the Gibson ceramics, a great combo with a 500T or Dirty Fingers, is a 498T in the neck. A high output Alnico V pickup

Seems like maybe to much gain, try the amp without the tubescreamer and set the amp to clean. Then maybe try just the amp gain.....then try just the tube screamer....some amps , solid state, don't like the screamer...

does the ibanez sound good clean, does the gibson sound good clean ? thats where the answer is....If the base tones are not there then when you distort it muddys it up......let us know

a fix those EQ settings! that will never work in a band and is pretty amateur. less bass, less treble, and add some mids. you can still have them scooped, but those setting sound terrible! your guitar IS A MIDRANGE INSTRUMENT. you must have some. and i'm a guy that loves a great, thick, metal tone.

a fix those EQ settings! that will never work in a band and is pretty amateur. less bass' date=' less treble, and add some mids. you can still have them scooped, but those setting sound terrible! your guitar IS A MIDRANGE INSTRUMENT. you must have some. and i'm a guy that loves a great, thick, metal tone. [/quote']

Aye right on the dot..[biggrin]

a fix those EQ settings! that will never work in a band and is pretty amateur. less bass' date=' less treble, and add some mids. you can still have them scooped, but those setting sound terrible! your guitar IS A MIDRANGE INSTRUMENT. you must have some. and i'm a guy that loves a great, thick, metal tone. [/quote']

+1......also if you tried those EQ settings on any high gain tube amp all you would most likely get would be microphonic squeeling!!!

less bass' date=' less treble, and add some mids. you can still have them scooped, but those setting sound terrible! your guitar IS A MIDRANGE INSTRUMENT. you must have some. [/quote']

I would disagree with the necessity of having mids. I have played my LP with having zero mids and the sound was great. Although I didn't have everything else turned up. More like: Bass-9 Mid-0 Treb-6 Gain-7

Great for huge, thick, fat power chord kinda stuff. I would't say it is an all-purpose setting though.

Funny, I've never had a problem getting High Gain, from ANY of my Gibson's.

They've always been great, that way...among other's. So, I have a tendency

to think the OP has more to learn/deal with, on his AMP, than with "Gibson Pickups!"

Hard to say, with any accuracy, though...not being there, hearing what he's (really)

talking about, etc.

CB

I have Gibson Les Paul studio model and I get hardcore amp squeal when I have it running into my Peavey Vypyr Modeling amp.. the setting I use is a Tube screamer stompbox' date=' a recto Amp model and post gain and pregain all the way up.. Bass all the way up, Treble/high all the way up and mid all the way down And the only conclusion I can come to is the pickups on the les paul.. all my firends guitars, (Death metal suitable guitars like schecter, LTD, and Ibanez) They all work fine, even my crappy ibanez (first guitar) works better than my Les Paul.. Any suggestions? I think I might put EMG's on it but... I just wanted to see if there is a solution first[/quote']

EMG's?

Listen, buy a squire and put EMG's on them cause the guitar will sound the same if you put the pups on a Gibson or anything else.

EMG's arent all the great, trust me i play the most crazy *** high gain **** on earth.

With a Haze 40. :(

A) Get a better amp (Tube amp)

:( Turn the Gain down.

X2

Dude... A solid state Peavy with "gain" all the way cranked & the tube screamer all the way crAnked??!??!!?

You gotta be shitting me, it's gonna sound like **** with any guitar.

I bet you're prolly playing through the bridge pickup too

I would disagree with the necessity of having mids. I have played my LP with having zero mids and the sound was great. Although I didn't have everything else turned up. More like: Bass-9 Mid-0 Treb-6 Gain-7

Great for huge' date=' thick, fat power chord kinda stuff. I would't say it is an all-purpose setting though. [/quote']

not with a band it doesn't. especially not to the audience or soundman.

EMG's?

Listen' date=' buy a squire and put EMG's on them cause the guitar will sound the same if you put the pups on a Gibson or anything else.

EMG's arent all the great, trust me i play the most crazy *** high gain **** on earth.

With a Haze 40. [cool

Hmmm... Crazy *** high gain? Don't you have a melody maker? I would love to hear some sound clips #-o

Archived