Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer vs Les Paul tone

ics1974

which les paul and are we talking stock pups? I think all things being the same, the explorer should sound a little warmer and darker. The LP would probably have a little more definition to it, but if your'e playing high gain stuff, it probably wouldn't matter. Then again, even similar guitars will sound different due to the organic nature of wood. I had 2 flying v's one faded, one regular and they sounded very different to me although they should not have (same type of wood, pickups, scale, etc)

Guest BentonC

Can you describe what you mean better than "fatter" and "ballsy"? Do you mean more bass response, tighter bottom end, more mid-range, etc...

That might help with some more definitive info!

Can you describe what you mean better than "fatter" and "ballsy"? Do you mean more bass response' date=' tighter bottom end, more mid-range, etc...

That might help with some more definitive info![/quote']

Sound is so hard to discribe in words.

I mean if the pickups were equil and the amp and gain setting were equil which one would have a better "growl" to it. Which sounds more huge!

If that makes sense.

I am now more curious about which has more bass response, tighter bottom end, more mid-range, etc... ?

I have only played one Les Paul ever but now that I have a Explorer I wonder how they compare in sound.

Definitely depends on the pickups, amp, pedals and settings. Tone is so subjective to the user. My best advice is just to get out and play both guitars and see what one fits your style of playing. My advice is to do your research and find what works for you because at the end of the day its your sound, your tone, its what you dream of.

Personally I like Explorers.... go figure. In general they tend to have a lighter body weight than a Les Paul. Sustain characteristics are kind of a hybrid between an SG and a Les Paul. You lose a tone control with the Explorer, however most people just leave this control alone anyway so it is mainly a player's preference whether you can deal with it. The Explorer has a more full tone spectrum balance to it which makes it a great foundation to start your tone shaping from, it also makes the Explorer highly versatile. Once again tone is highly subjective, no two guitars are alike. I personally am not a fan of the pickups Gibson puts in the current Explorer, the ceramic magnets tend to produce a brighter sound in the bridge and the neck can sound muddy at times.

The amp part of the equation is going to be more important to you. "Ballsy" tone is usually described as having low end and girth to it, so turn up the bass control and use closed back cabinets with 12" speakers. "Fatter" tone usually has more mids present in the signal, more mids is usually suited for more lead work as the mids tend to make single notes more pronounced. More mids has the potential draw back of losing clarity in chord work. Again tone is subjective but I hope this helps you out man.

Archived