Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrading an SG-X

livefromheaven

Hey everyone,

My brother owns an SG-X and I was looking into getting some upgrades for his birthday.

All the specs and pics of the model are here:

http://www.everythingsg.com/discontinued_models.htm#sgx

I know I'd like to put new tuners on, as well as new pots, input jack, and pickups.

Would I benefit from an upgraded bridge and tailpiece as well? Has anybody upgraded one of these before? Who makes the best upgraded parts for these?

Thanks,

Mike

When it comes to modifying a guitar in any way, it really all comes down to personal preference. It's a very personal thing.

How well do you know your brother?

One of the biggest things you need to ask yourself is...why fix it, if nothing's broken?

Is there something wrong with this guitar that it doesn't cut it for your brother? Gibson makes quality instruments, and even a lower-end model such as a SG-X is still an amazing instrument.

Pickups are the most obvious thing you can upgrade, but many varieties are better suited for different things. What kind of music does your brother play? There are also more balanced pickups that can handle just about everything.

Tuners...you can go with Klusons, Schallers, Grovers, etc. Grover makes some fine locking tuners.

Same for tailpieces and bridge. But really, if the stock ones are fine, why replace them?

For general parts, you may want to try sites like allparts.com and stewmac.com.

But for things like pickups, tuners, etc, you can save a buttload buying used from eBay. There's not much difference than buying new for these items, most of the time they're taken out of new instruments anyway.

If you want to most some more specific information we'd be glad to help you mod it to your brother's specs.

Cheers.

Don't modify ****. Leave that alone, just the way it is. If you must, get the tone pro's locking stop bar and bridge and go and get it a "pro set-up" and some strings, and have it all done for him, so when he pick's it up he will be in shock and it will be all set up nice by a pro, ya know action/intonation/ect. Keep the original's in a zip lock baggy inside the case. If you don't want to spend the dough, about 200 dollars, get-em some strings and a cheep effect pedal.

I have a few questions of my own, and I don't want to pull a LynyrdSkynyrd-14 after ragging on him.

I have my birthday coming up on the 27th, and all I want is to start a record collection, but how much would a "set-up" cost?

Im happy with my action, and Im not too sure what they do for a set up. Ive been searching Google, but Im sure you guys

could simplify the answer.

When Im in drop D I get a pretty good amount of fret buzz on the 6th string, it would fix that right?

I don't have many noticeable problems almost no problems, but if I have the money I should get one right?

Im happy with my action' date=' and Im not too sure what they do for a set up. Ive been searching Google, but Im sure you guys could simplify the answer.

When Im in drop D I get a pretty good amount of fret buzz on the 6th string, it would fix that right?

I don't have many noticeable problems almost no problems, but if I have the money I should get one right?[/quote']

A basic set-up should include new strings, intonation, a neck adjustment, and setting the action to your specifications. It could run anywhere from $25 to $40.

A better (more expensive set-up) should also include a fret dress/levelling, cleaning the fret board, cleaning the pots and switches, and generally checking over the guitar (tighten up screws, etc.). It could go up to $100 or more depending on how much fret work is needed, but they would need to be pretty bad.

Your issue with the buzz on your low E could probably be fixed by going with a slightly heavier gauge on the lower strings. If you do a fair amount of drop-D, you may need your action a little higher on the bass side as well.

Archived