Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jinx2

Gibson email

I just got this from Gibson in my email... it's so lame, i thought I'd post it here . Gibson advertising sucks big time, if it wasn't for the legacy, I'd barf from this:

The Les Paul You Grew Up Loving

With all the fat, sweet, snarling Les Paul tone that purists love, the Traditional plays, sounds, and feels like the Les Pauls that today's players grew up loving and lusting after. Taking design and visual cues from the Les Pauls of the '80s and '90s, the Les Paul Traditional starts with a Grade-A mahogany body and adds nine strategically placed traditional weight-relief holes for a beefy tone that maintains the resonance of modern Les Pauls, while losing a large portion of the weight. This is capped with a maple top, giving the Les Paul Traditional the look of the great Les Pauls that helped to bring rock back to the front of the stage in the mid '80s. Capping the Traditional with a maple top not only looks great, but it also brings out presence and definition to the tone. With the look of the great Les Paul Standards that helped to make rock king again, and every ounce of the tone thanks to legendary Gibson construction, classic tonewoods, and two genuine humbucking pickups, the Les Paul Traditional is the guitar to take your music center stage where it belongs.

The Les Pauls I grew up loving were not swiss cheesed. Maybe babies today when they get older will grow up loving swiss cheesed Les Pauls.

Craig

I don't see anything wrong with the mail... not that I'm excited about it but there's nothing wrong with it.

What exactly would you like Gibson to say in their mails?

The mail that got me by surprise (because I really hated that guitar when I saw it) was the one about the "new 2010 standard/robot". It actually pissed me off.

I don't see anything wrong with the mail... not that I'm excited about it but there's nothing wrong with it.

What exactly would you like Gibson to say in their mails?

+1 C'mon guys, cut 'em some slack. If you haven't done it, you have no idea how hard it is to figure out who are your real customers (the ones who both love the brand and spend money), and what kind of product features - not to mention writing - is going to appeal to them. Especially when you need to write something fresh for every e-mail in order to maintain a sense of relationship with them.

And Kimbaig - just subscribe to their e-newsletter. It's not exclusive. :-)

The Les Pauls I grew up loving were not swiss cheesed. Maybe babies today when they get older will grow up loving swiss cheesed Les Pauls.

Craig

The swiss cheese pattern (9 weight relief holes) was introduced in 1982. I was 8 years old then [lol]

The swiss cheese pattern (9 weight relief holes) was introduced in 1982. I was 8 years old then [angry]

I was 3. [lol]

Pretty normal, and not in bad tase at all. It's just marketing.

Beats some of the crap I get in my real mail.......

Some folks just like to *****. If they sent them a free Les Paul, they'd ***** about the color.

Of course, I would, too, if it was a Gecko Burst.... [biggrin]

The email is actually excellent marketing, and I share the sentiments they expressed. I've played a Traditional. They ARE the shiznit, imho.

I got the same email...

I'm not a fan of the LP.

It just doesn't feel right to me. Dunno why. I do like the feel of the SG; don't care for the V, some other Gibbie solidbody shapes are ok but for a solid, the SG shape seems almost ideal for me, my body and how I play guitar.

There was an interesting LP Gibbie once made - and I had a shot at a used one once and probably should have pushed myself to buy it - that was a semi hollow version. I didn't get it because... the shape wasn't comfortable.

The semi hollows and thin hollows and full hollows... those are my favorite electrics and Gibson designs are pretty much tops as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately for me to have one at this point, it'd have to be a gift.

No, I didn't find the email at all offensive.

m

The swiss cheese pattern (9 weight relief holes) was introduced in 1982. I was 8 years old then [biggrin]

Man... I was in my 30's but working at my current job!

I REALLY like that actual Gibson employees monitor and participate in the forums.

As far as the ad..... I only read ads I'm interested in. Life to too short to get bogged down in the minutia!

Bob

"Hello to you friend, I am very excited tell you aboutrare i phone 3 gs I buy for half price. Also dating site where I meet and have fun times with many women. As my friend I is excited to share with you so many of secrets of diet pills THEY DO NOT WORK! Try one time only Acai berry supplemental lasts longtime!

All is one click away, don't wait lucky times1! please you go xuenyuenguanchina.scam.com!!

Many blessings

(that's vomit worthy spam)

If he didn't get the emails he'd have to find somthing else to complain about. Like, ......... the price. which is always to much. and never buys anything anyway. Maybe Gibson should use their resouces to make personalized emails to everyone. yea, that 's the ticket.

I don't see anything wrong with the add.... And why didn't you like the LP Standard Robot Thunder??? Looks pretty good to me...[biggrin]

I like the first gen a lot better :-k I still want to get one' date=' have been looking at them on ebay and some guys are giving them away for as little as 1400 bucks, I might come back from the states with one in august, then I will join your original robot club Dave [thumbup

What I didn't like (at first) about the 2010 robot standard:

The way that p90 looks. Should have been creme or black.

The way the finish looks. I'd preffered a flame top with tobacco burst or a lemon burst.

the Les Paul Traditional starts with a Grade-A mahogany body and adds nine strategically placed traditional weight-relief holes for a beefy tone that maintains the resonance of modern Les Pauls' date=' while losing a large portion of the weight. [/quote']

Maybe the left hand should speak with the right hand because the right hand told me this...

(I've posted this before, I know)

We have modified the original "Swiss cheese" hole pattern to something that has a purpose other than to lighten up the guitar. Originally, the holes were cut in a pattern that maximized the available space and did not take into consideration tone, balance, and sustain.

:-k

I didn't see anything wrong with the email.

I was just hoping they were going to attach a 50% off coupon so I *could* actually get the Les Paul I grew up loving. Way to tease a guy... :-k