Gibson Brands Forums

Goldtop Question

Smity

I picked up a LP Goldtop today. I was told that it is a reissue. How can I tell if it is and if it is a '56, '57, etc. ?

The headstock is impressed with an 8 digit serial number and MADE IN USA.

Tuners say GIBSON DELUXE.

Tuning pegs are greenish.

Two pickups, chrome.

no volute

There's a sticker on plastic cover on the back... Original Gibson Equipment.

Headstock says Gibson Les Paul Model. Nothing on the plastic cover above the nut.

Case says Custom Art Historic.

I just discovered this forum. Thanks for your help.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

more pics!

if that is a picture from the guitar in question there are two things out of line on it (to my eye)

- the screws aren't counter sunk into the plastic cover, the real gibsons are

- it looks like there's binding on the back, i don't think there are any reissue goldtops like that..

It's also cherry..

EDIT: if you don't mind sharing, what are the first 5 digits of the serial number.

more pics!

if that is a picture from the guitar in question there are two things out of line on it (to my eye)

- the screws aren't counter sunk into the plastic cover' date=' the real gibsons are

- it looks like there's binding on the back, i don't think there are any reissue goldtops like that..

It's also cherry..[/quote']That's not the guitar from the OP. It's a pic of the sticker from the control cover plate found on typical Chinese fakes.

The OP has even acknowledged that that is the same sticker that is on the back of his guitar, so do the math.

Gibson guitars DO NOT have stickers anywhere on them, because of the Nitro-lacquer finish. Nuff said.[cool]

It looks pretty good to me too, the "Les Paul Model" is a little bolder than many i see but i think it looks good. Probably not a reissue though, like R9 said, the serial number's too long. it may be a standard.

if you look at the serial number it's composed like this: YDDDYxxx

YY=last 2 digits of the year it was made

DDD= day in the year it was made

xxx= number that was made that day

can you tell us what year it is? and are you located in the US or outside? (just curious)

It's a fake, I'm afraid.

There are at least eight things wrong.

Take it back and demand a full refund. If one is not forthcoming then report the seller to the authorities : it's illegal to sell counterfeit goods whether knowingly or otherwise.

Just as additional info with regards re-issues:

It wouldn't have an 8-digit serial number.

The serial number wouldn't be stamped into the headstock; it would be ink-stamped.

It wouldn't have a "Made in U.S.A." impression.

A real '56 would have two cream-coloured P-90's and an ABR-1 / Stop-bar tailpiece set-up.

A real '57 would have two Nickel-covered PAF humbuckers.

Compared to the one in your snap, a real re-issue would have a different typeface for the word 'M O D E L' with more space between the letters.

Archived