Gibson Brands Forums

Poll - Best Gibson Guitar

Tman5293

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

difficult question you ask. I say the ES line as imo it's so versatile. don't get me wrong, LP's are great and i have a few. but the upper fret access is limited and difficult. The ES solves that with the D.C. they are great all around guitars and the 356 i have, smokes.

I put down the ES series also as "most versatile."

I'd add that IMHO the 175 is overall the most comfortable "real" guitar size/shape out there in addition to great overall capability for most players to get something good from them.

To me the strength of Gibson in ways always has been in design and most of the time, construction.

Top solidbody for overall use to me is the SG. It can do anything from rock to jazz to country... easier handling to me than the LP that for some reason just never hit me right.

Top flattop - yeah, probably the hummingbird overall.

The problem with a poll like this, though, is that so often we respond from our own taste and style of music rather than something a bit more broad. For example, if you're a bluegrasser, your idea of a "best" will be something different from a fingerpicking blues player.

m

Problem with "one" is that no specific instrument can do everything.

Try playing bluegrass, for example, with a V or SG. In theory yes, in practice, nope.

To me, in a sense most Gibson solidbodies are mostly variations on the SG with different body shapes, excluding the LP variations that are something different.

The ES series is very broad and almost impossible to categorize since some are full hollow, some big, some relatively smaller, some semi-hollow...

Flattops are equally difficult to categorize, I think.

Were I to have a half dozen guitars only, I'd have an ES175, SG, 335, Hummingbird-type EA, a 12 EA and a smallbody EA. I think if you have those, it should cover about anything you'd need to play - perhaps not perfectly, but close enough, especially with the games one can play with electronics. For example, a tap to play an SG with what functionally would be a single pole bridge pup would be pretty close to a tele if you had an amp that might be played with - and that also assumes you prefer, as I do, a sorta traditional Gibson-type neck and fingerboard.

Frankly I think just different strings and amplification of the same instrument makes each something different while still technically the same guitar... Perhaps that's also a major factor in GAS. <grin>

m

The V is most comfortable to sit with to.

I dont think it sits more comfortable then a LP, (that may be due to my first real guitar being a LP) but i do think its very comfortable sitting...idk why so many people complain about not being able to sit down and play...I either just lay my leg over my knee, so it sits up more, or put the v in between my thigh

ES 335. forever and ever Amen... all this yak about the LPs... i mean my girlfriend just bought a new Alpine White Studio and the pick ups in that are ok... the guitar looks cool, feels ok... but the 335's pups are SMOKIN!!!!! in fact, everything about the 335 is perfect.

Archived