Gibson Brands Forums

Poll - Best Gibson Guitar

Tman5293

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Milo hit it right on for me. I do love my Les Pauls but the ES-339 can do things that the Les Paul cannot do (and vice versa). "Best" is a very relative term too. For example, there is no way one can ever get a Strat-like sound out of an ES or a LP. So they are not "best" for those sounds. My Gibson Sonex is cheap and made of essentially particle board, but it screams compared to a Les Paul. However it sounds lousy when trying to get a classic blues tone from it. Bottom line is that I love all my Gibson guitars and they all have a purpose. No one is better than another.

I think that Les Pauls are about the coolest looking, iconic, classic rock guitar of all time.

But I don't care for them.

Most of them are too "dark" sounding for me, and don't have enough treble-y kick. (An exception is a LP with P-90s.) But the real reason I don't like them is comfort: I don't like the single cutaway, and the deal-breaker for me is not so much how heavy it sits on my shoulder, but how that weight - to me - throws off the balance of the guitar. I feel like I am holding a teeter-totter with a fat guy on one end and a waif-ish supermodel on the other.

I prefer the SG.

Guest rogerb

I don't personally have one but I think the ES-335 covers alot of territory musically. I see blues, jazz and even some country players using that model. I have a Les Paul standard myself.

• 1 month later...

In many ways they are all best options and it would be a dream to own one or more of each !! For sexy looks I go for the Firebird, echoing the halcyon 50's American car era. For easy handling and great HB sounds the SG. The ES series are a great link between archtop semis and later solids...being good at everything from Clapton/BB King blues to pop to jazz fusion to rock, even punk with the wild Tom deLonge. To my taste the Les Paul is a great guitar, a bit heavy and everybody's got one...I like the Junior for it's easy handling and fun factor...so many guitars...so little time !!

Archived