Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Here have a Godin?

Artie Owl

This is my Godin Freeway Classic;

godinperffreewayblackrn.jpg

I bought it when I upgraded from my first ever guitar a DeArmond, and I got it with a Line 6 Spyder II amp.

I have long since traded up the amp for the blues jr (no regrets there) but I still have my Godin, although I haven't played her much since I brought the SG home this year.

I picked her up off her wall mount a few days ago and gave her a good bending, I forgot how much fun she is. She's got a 5 way toggle and a hum-coil-hum setup. I think once I get my banjo back from being restored I'll put some money in on a proper setup for her.

Anyone else have any experience with Godin guitars? The Godin line also includes the Seagull and Art & Lutherie too.

Canadian and American made if I'm not mistaken!

Godin makes amazing stuff! I had a great Seagull Acoustic, until I found out that the truss rod was broken from Guitar Center, and is now unplayable...

Seagull's are my favorite acoustics, above Martin and Taylor, great feel and sound IMO. I am really Gassing for a 5th Avenue. Hollowbody with a single p90, great stuff. Yeah, Canadian made (not sure on the US part though) Good stuff, for good money. Can't beat it

Oh.... [blush]

My bad... I meant to say How is it??? [biggrin]

lol, that is also in my first post.. Well I guess I only said how much fun she is.

The 5 way toggle gives a lot of versatility, and the low key dots are better than the standard dots imo. There's a whammy bar that's unscrewable and on a platform to prevent damage over time to the body, and the neck is fairly comfortable, though not as fast as my SG.

I Love Godin Guitars (what a surprise huh?) they are truly one of my favorites and the multi-voice synth pickups make them one of the best for use with a Roland Synth fast tracking almost no delay and great action and tone through the synth I have 8 or 9 including right now including all of these.

XTSA solid body

637849.jpg

A6 Multiac Nylon String with dual voice. This has the Roland 13 synth out and with the Roland Synth is a blast to play.

568639.jpg

Godin Multiac Jazz semi-hollow with multi voice and synth pickup.

GodinMultiacJazzcopy.jpg

A4 four string fretted Bass

cf_3JPGcopy-1.jpg

A8 Mandolin natural top

GodinA8Mandolin-1copy.jpg

Godin Glissentar 11 string fretless instrument

cf_3JPGcopy.jpg

Godin Fifth Avenue in Cognac

godin5thavecognaccopy.jpg

And a seagull not actually a Godin but in the family.

Seagullcopy.jpg

Last week my wife took a guitar instructional course for teachers (http://www.discoverguitar.com/workshops.html).

The course only cost $150 and all the teachers participating in the course rec'd a guitar plus a lot of books and accessories.

Thirty people were in her course and when her name was drawn she chose a Norman guitar w/case--- made by Godin. http://www.normanguitars.com/b18black.html

It's a pretty decent acoustic guitar. The cedar top certainly smells different than most guitars! It has a very nice ring and its playability was much better than I expected.

The owner of Godin --- Robert Godin --- was at the course one afternoon and did a two-hour talk/workshop. She said he was a very down-to-earth guy who explained everything very patiently in an easy-to-understand manner.

Anyone else have any experience with Godin guitars? The Godin line also includes the Seagull and Art & Lutherie too.

Canadian and American made if I'm not mistaken!

I used to work in a store that sold them. I liked em ok. Some models better than other. I considered buying a multiac....still am. The nylon string model. Seagull are good for the price. Very slim necks. I never touched the A&L other than truss rod adjustments.

Godin makes amazing stuff! I had a great Seagull Acoustic' date=' until I found out that the truss rod was broken from Guitar Center, and is now unplayable...

Seagull's are my favorite acoustics, above Martin and Taylor, great feel and sound IMO. I am really Gassing for a 5th Avenue. Hollowbody with a single p90, great stuff. Yeah, Canadian made (not sure on the US part though) Good stuff, for good money. Can't beat it[/quote']

I bet that if you contacted Seagull they would have that guitar repaired or replaced. They are very good about taking care of customers.

• 1 month later...

I have 2 Godins...a Redline I with a single bridge active EMG and a 5th Avenue Kingpin with single neck P90. They are both solidly built and have a quality feel about them and a reasonably priced alternative to USA or Oriental guitars. The 5th Avenue is great fun to play and lightweight with a smallish body...I like it's simplicity and 50's vibe, great for raunchy blues and rockabilly. The Redline is another ultra simple guitar: it's only got a volume pot and the active EMG encourages high gain sustain and power chord fun...nicely contoured body and handling brings out the shredder in me !!

Godin turns out some great instruments. I've never owned one, but I've played a few. I've got only good things to say about Godin. A good friend has an older special edition Acousticaster - it's all birds eye maple - including the fretboard. Beautiful, plays great, and has a fairly flexible sound. A while back I had major GAS for the 2 pup 5th Ave Kingpin in Cognac, with its simple looks and gorgeous finish, but somehow managed to hold off.

godin5thavecognacpucw.jpg

Archived