Gibson Brands Forums

2000 Les Paul Custom Binding Irregularity

robert56

Need a little help here. I have a 2000 Les Paul Custom and there is a binding issue,the binding on the front side of the horn is wider than the binding on the rest of the guitar.I can't find any pix to compare to. I have verified this is not a fake,I bought it from a dealer who is a personel friend and verifed with Gibson. Can anyone explain.

Is it a 2000 Standard ? I wonder if the binding was done that way for that year. I took it to a Guitar Center store to possibly sell and they basically thru me out of the store,saying were not in the market to buy a guitar like that !!! I think they thought it was a fake and I was trying pawn it off on them. I went to another store and they were fine about it but they are looking into why the binding is like that,they thought it was a Norlin design but of course due to the year it is not,I wonder why the binding is like that and some and not on others.

I have been waiting on a responce back from Gibson to see why the binding is the way it is. I find it amazing or I really don't that a Gibson dealer after verifying the serial #and features of the guitar would still question the validity of the instrument.

That binding is perfectly normal.

It's known as 'wide binding' as opposed to the original 'narrow binding' used on the original '52 - '60 instruments and modern re-issues.

...do you know of any explaination why the binding was done that way ??

On the original instruments there was a crescent of maple - used for the carved-top 'cap' - showing paler than the mahogany which was used for the main body of the guitar. Sometime later' date=' after the original-style Les Paul guitar was re-introduced in 1968, a decision was taken to use wider binding to cover up the whole of the maple; hence the wider binding in the cut-away area.

Original style 'Narrow binding'. Note thin crescent of lighter wood under stain.

[img']http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp254/pippy59/_MG_1641-1.jpg[/img]

Later 'Wide binding'. No maple visible.

_MG_1638-1.jpg

Hope this helps.

This is perfect !!!! Thanks so much. Now I can go explain it to Guitar Center.

I hate that place, nothing but losers from your local city's music scene. I rank their "employees" on the same level of non-quality as a Best Buy blue shirt.

Archived