Gibson Brands Forums

Get Connected w/Gibson Chairman & CEO Henry Juszkiewicz

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Henry, there are a few of us who are requesting the custom shop make additional Gibson Les Paul Push Tone PUPs. [-o< It could be via special order hence the custom shop. We have been discussing this issue on a separate thread ( http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/54676-gibson-les-paul-push-tone/page__p__730416__fromsearch__1#entry730416 ). Thank you for your consideration.

Alright, how do I even sign up/in for this forum? It says I'm logged in but I need a seperate account for that forum? It won't let me set up a new account because my email address is used for this login. What's a poor boy supposed to do?

EG

I signed up on the 24th of last month. I'm a member but still can't post to the forum. What's the holdup?

Oh, I forgot. Did get an email stating they are backed up with new members. I still don't get it.

It's now been a full month since I joined that forum. I still haven't received that mysterious email telling me I can post.

I belong to a number of high profile forums and it's never taken this long to be able to participate.

I recently purchased a new L5 CES and just wanted to pass on my buying experience and comment on the quality.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, please join there and post your comments for him.

Also, fyi - it's a good sneak peek at the features and functionality of things to come with these forums.

Have joined, won't let me post even the though I have had the confirmation post.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Henry,

Thanks for having the guts to develop the somewhat maligned Dusk Tiger. I am the proud owner of #204. I have wanted a Les Paul since I was 10 years old. Now I finally have one and it feels great to play, totally different than my "Japanese copy" or my Strat. Wonderful peice of wood, great tones, great tech, and cool software.

Since I am an actual player and not one of those investment grade guitar geeks, I have some humble suggestions to make the next generation of Robot even better:

1. Do not label the cases with the model name & limited edition. That makes the guitar an object of theft when transporting or gigging, even with the guitar unseen.

2. Please consider either just offering a Gibson Custom case or bring back the Chainsaw cases for these guitars. The Chainsaw case was pretty indestructible & sweet looking. I just bought one off Ebay for my Tiger.

3. Add another EQ to the guitar so that each pickup can have its own programmable EQ.

4. Make one set of banks exclusively tuning, one set of banks exclusively set up utilities, and the other bank programmable tones. Use the bar symbol to go forward to the next set in a bank, use the arrow to go back one set in a bank. The current system is a little confusing.

5. Make strap locks standard. I was disappointed these were not on the Dusk Tiger like they were on the Dark Fire.

6. Please consider making each pickup or pole able to be shut off. This way it allows easy access to just piezo or wild Page like configurations with a rotation of a knob.

7. Please consider including the complete software registration info in with the case candy.

8. Please include all manuals in with the case candy.

9. Please consider acrylic sealing any large chrome pick guards or plates in the future. It would make clean up much easier and reduce the risk of tarnish.

10. Ever consider taking the Alex Lifeson prototype piezo/Floyd Rose and mating it with Robot technology? That would be kind of killer.

11. Ever consider making a Robot version of the Gibson Les Paul Recording guitar? That would be almost the ultimate tone beast.

Thanks for your time & keep up the good work!

Dr. B

Before I start, let's clear up the fact that I'm not one of the luddites that's stuck in the past. I am a Darkfire owner and am currently awaiting the arrival of a 2010 Ltd so I HAVE adopted the new technologies. I LOVE my DF (when it's working) and think that the ability to auto tune and switch between tunings / tones / acoustic/electric at will is astounding.

BUT

Gibson seems to have it's strategy all wrong.

I am a teacher at a Secondary school in the UK (11-16 year olds). We have many budding guitarists of many varying abilities and financial backgrounds. Several of them play cheap rip off guitars but some of the more talented ones own either Gibson Studio models or Fender Highway 1 models.

ALL of these kids aspire to "one day" owning "Standard" models of the guitars their idols play - it doesn't matter if that's a LP, SG or even a Strat. The Studio range of models was a great way to go because that meant that there was a mid price option that these kid's parents could afford and this was a way of getting these young players hooked in to the Gibson brand. Surely developing this range or even putting the robot features in to the Epiphone range makes far more business sense than making yet another multi thousand dollar limited edition guitar.

While I'm on the subject, I ordered my 2010 Ltd back in July, my dealer still has NO IDEA when they are going to receive the guitar (this comes as no surprise as I ordered my Darkfire in January and received it in July). Gibson have totally forgotten the fact that they need to look after their existing customers. Most businesses would love a customer like me - my current Gibson list is:

Les Paul Custom

Les Paul Darkfire

Les Paul Slash AFD

SG Standard

SJ200 Custom Shop

Les Paul 2010 Standard Limited Edition (On Order)

I have also owned (now sold ) a 2002 Les Paul Standard and a Les Paul Classic doublecut

I have spent a LOT of money with Gibson in the past an yet cannot get any sense whatsoever when I ask when my new guitar will arrive. I am wondering whether my business means anything at all to the powers that be or whether they are focussed on some unfathomable target.

COME ON GIBSON WAKE UP

Look after your customer base or die - it's THAT simple!

You are responsible for some of the most iconic guitars EVER. Yes, innovate, BUT you need to keep it real. People can't afford 6000$ guitars. Concentrate on providing affordable, QUALITY guitars that young players can aspire to and that you are capable of building.

Hi Henry. I've been using Gibson guitars for 17 years. Purchased 5 new ones and 1 used. Maybe, just maybe you can listen to some of my suggestions...

1. I agree don't label the cases, nothing other than marking it's value for a thief..

2. Come down on the price (I purchased a Les Paul standard for like $1699 4 years ago) now they are $2600 whilst Fender American series have gone up about $100 and remain just over a grand, very fair price. I can't afford the LP anymore nor can most people.

3. If you want to modernize your product try to add maple headstock veneers and matching headstock color to body. Ebony veneer is a really old method.

4. If you want to modernize your product try recessing your TOM bridges and reducing the neck pocket angle.

5. If you want to modernize your product, try to make more guitars with slimmer neck profiles (not that flat "60's" neck but a true C shape).

6. If you want to modernize your product, try offering different pickups.

7. If you want to modernize your product, try offering the axess neck joint on more models. A lot of players like to easily get up to the higher note registers (this refers to Les Pauls).

8. Instruct quality control to make sure the nut and bridge slots are cut deeper and hold the string and do not cause buzzing or don't cut the guitar's tone.

9. Install and level the frets on the guitars, there's no way to make a good guitar when you install and level the frets before you glue them on the neck!

10. If you want to modernize your product, try offering more modern finish options, that is different paint.

11. Bring back the brown cases with pink interior. Or start making a few color combos for different guitars. Match finishes with the cases etc.

12. Keep making the less expensive models. People love those.

13. Bring back the crescent moon inlays on the Faded flying V.

14. Bring back the JUJU guitars only without the red Voodoo stuff..

15. Offer the 61 SG in more colors. The 2006 blue offering was awesome. White and TV Yellow are very popular.

16. For tone purposes, make sure the pickups are level (parallel) with the strings. After 60 years this should be a no brainer.

17. I have nothing against robot guitars. But they are clearly not something most people want..

18. Make guitars for players not collectors.

19. Offer tonepros locking bridges and stop tail pieces.

20. More neck trough guitars...

21. Try losing the pickguards also..

22. Compensated nuts.

23. Graphite reinforced necks.

24. Composite body material or necks such as Zon basses.

25. More modern knobs.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy from Texas, Mr. J.

Now that things have settled down a bit, I assure you that loyal Gibson guitarists support your efforts to build classic instruments, and to push the envelope of technology. I was dumbfounded by the lynchmob mentality of some respondents to the unveiling of the Firebird X. I love an R9, Explorer or Les Paul Junior as much as the next guy, but I also embrace the concept of the multi-functional electric. I bought a first edition Robot, and it is a fine instrument, and I play it along side my John Lennon Junior.

If you don't develop the technology, your competitors will. Keep going. Just continue to make the classics as you forge into the future. There is room for both.

This is just a heads up for the man in charge. I bought a Songwriter Deluxe Standard a couple of days ago, received it yesterday. While the sound and playability are outstanding, there is excess glue all over the thing. On the inside bracing there's globs of it here and there, and it's also dried on the nice vintage sunburst top around the fretboard and pickguar. For a $4,000 msrp, this just shouldn't be happening. How sloppy. I expected more from Gibson, and I don't think I'm being unreasonable in this case. I'd check on who's doing the gluing, as well as "JD" in QC who let this kind of thing pass.

• 4 weeks later...

Mr J.

I have been around acoustic and electric instruments since my late teens, especially guitar with some banjo thrown in. I'm no virtuoso by any means but my all time favorite instrument so far is a Gibson Les Paul "Blonde" guitar. Two weeks ago I put a down payment on a Gibson ESS Banjo via Janet Davis Music Company and eagerly wait for it's arrival.

Please consider a Banjo Thread on the Gibson Forum website and maybe more threads. Consider an Acoustic thread and an Electric thread with a breakdown in each for different instruments.

I think that the current Gibson Forum website does not promote individual considerations. Folks browsing the internet are probably not comfortable with posting on the Gibson "Lounge" when wanting to make a comment about a particular instrument that is probaley theres. Does this make sense?

David Robinson

Southern Maryland

robinsondd@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Mr.Juszkiewicz,

Just a couple of lines to congratulate you and everyone at Gibson.

I am a drummer that plays guitar, and I always heard so much about Gibson, but had never played one until some months ago. And now.... I am a Gibson freak!!! I am sure many of you understand what I mean. So much that I made a music video about it, which I perform all the instruments and vocals

This is dedicated to all of you.

Keep up the great work,

Mayer Shabetay

Panama

mshabetay@cwpanama.net

• 2 months later...

Hi Henry,

Any news on updating the parts store to cover the newest Robot guitars?

If we want to get spares of parts while they still have a possibility of being produced, that might be a great idea from a customer service/support standpoint. At least it's a good idea for those of us that are actually regularly playing the guitars and not locking them in a safe or putting them in a glass coffin.

Please help those of us that are players protect our investment.

Or at the very least, please allow Tronical to sell robot kits to retrofit other Gibson/Epi guitars.

At least we could use those kits to get the parts we need.

What do you think?

Best,

Dr. B

• 8 months later...

Hi Henry,

Thanks for having the guts to develop the somewhat maligned Dusk Tiger. I am the proud owner of #204. I have wanted a Les Paul since I was 10 years old. Now I finally have one and it feels great to play, totally different than my "Japanese copy" or my Strat. Wonderful peice of wood, great tones, great tech, and cool software.

Since I am an actual player and not one of those investment grade guitar geeks, I have some humble suggestions to make the next generation of Robot even better:

1. Do not label the cases with the model name & limited edition. That makes the guitar an object of theft when transporting or gigging, even with the guitar unseen.

2. Please consider either just offering a Gibson Custom case or bring back the Chainsaw cases for these guitars. The Chainsaw case was pretty indestructible & sweet looking. I just bought one off Ebay for my Tiger.

3. Add another EQ to the guitar so that each pickup can have its own programmable EQ.

4. Make one set of banks exclusively tuning, one set of banks exclusively set up utilities, and the other bank programmable tones. Use the bar symbol to go forward to the next set in a bank, use the arrow to go back one set in a bank. The current system is a little confusing.

5. Make strap locks standard. I was disappointed these were not on the Dusk Tiger like they were on the Dark Fire.

6. Please consider making each pickup or pole able to be shut off. This way it allows easy access to just piezo or wild Page like configurations with a rotation of a knob.

7. Please consider including the complete software registration info in with the case candy.

8. Please include all manuals in with the case candy.

9. Please consider acrylic sealing any large chrome pick guards or plates in the future. It would make clean up much easier and reduce the risk of tarnish.

10. Ever consider taking the Alex Lifeson prototype piezo/Floyd Rose and mating it with Robot technology? That would be kind of killer.

11. Ever consider making a Robot version of the Gibson Les Paul Recording guitar? That would be almost the ultimate tone beast.

Thanks for your time & keep up the good work!

Dr. B

Another suggestion: Stainless Steel Frets- Come on, this is 2011. There is no reason not to have them on a premium priced player guitar.

Archived