Gibson Brands Forums

2008 Gibson Cases

hi13ts

I've recently bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio through Guitar Center.com. I was expecting to receive one of those handy combo lock cases that was a standard issue during the last few years, but I received a Gibson case with a small hole for a pad lock instead. I assumed this is some money saving deal for Gibson, but I sure do miss those handy combo locks. Anyone have the same experience?

Apparently, Gibson is doing this across the board. I turned down a new Explorer last month because I didn't like the case. In addition to the missing combo lock, the sides aren't as rigid as they used to be either. It's gotta be a cost savings move, but I can't see spending big bucks on a new guitar and putting it into a case that won't protect it.

I feel that the cases are sturdy enough to protect (beats the heck out of the pitiful "gig bags"), but I just really do miss that lovely combo lock. I'm not too sure about the rigid sides though. My friend has a Gibson SG Bass with a combo lock case, and I find that the sides are equal in rigidness.

I haven't seen the new cases yet, so I can't comment on their quality. But, to me, the combo on my case is just a gimmick. I latch it just so that it doesn't stick out, but I leave it on the combo so I can easily get it open. That lock will not stop anyone who really wants to get it open.

I haven't seen the new cases yet' date=' so I can't comment on their quality. But, to me, the combo on my case is just a gimmick. I latch it just so that it doesn't stick out, but I leave it on the combo so I can easily get it open. That lock will not stop anyone who really wants to get it open. [/quote']

That's true, I don't think that I've ever actually "locked" the case.

My Silverburst came with a case with the combo lock and a loop handle. My Goldtop has a Custom Shop case that has a cheap little key lock and a handle like a suitcase handle. I don't particularly like the case, because when I store the case on my shelf, the handle protrudes beyond the thickness of the case and catches on the shelf. Also, I don't trust that cheap lock for travel.

Just my opinion.

I've bought 2 Gibsons in the last 4-6 weeks' date=' both with 2008 build dates. They both came with the same combo-lock cases that my 2007 Gibsons came with.[/quote']

Do they have the crazy new asymetrical neck everyone has been crying about in this thread?

Do they have the crazy new asymetrical neck everyone has been crying about in this thread?

One is a GOTW LP Junior, so no. The other is a faded LP Standard which, if you check out the Gibson website, hasn't existed for months so I don't know what the specs are as far as the neck. It doesn't feel any different from my '07 faded Standard.

I actually asked Gibson and they told me that the deletion of the combo lock was because the customers didn't care for it. Kinda make sense after hearing all the complaints about how ineffective the lock is. I still miss though.

I haven't seen the new cases yet' date=' so I can't comment on their quality. But, to me, the combo on my case is just a gimmick. I latch it just so that it doesn't stick out, but I leave it on the combo so I can easily get it open. That lock will not stop anyone who really wants to get it open. [/quote']

Definitely. Anyone familiar with the combo locks can change the combination and open it without even needing to know what the combination is anyway.

For anyone looking to get a very nice case for their guitar, try Fine Cases. Some of them are very expensive though. Personally, I can't see investing in an expensive case if you're gigging as it's just going to get beat up anyway unless you're looking at Anvil, SKB, etc. I don't need flight quality so, when I buy a case, I just look for something that isn't a gig bag that is still going to protect the guitar in the trunk of the car.

Look, if push comes to shove, I can live without the combo lock. But I can't accept the flimsy, flexible sided cases like GC tried to sell me with a new Gibson Explorer. There is no way I could stack anything on top of that Explorer case, and not have the sides cave in on the guitar. That doesn't happen with my pre-2008 Gibson cases.

I've purchased two used Gibsons, a 91 SG and an 02 LP. Both cases had the combo lock broken? Do they break that easy, OR.... Do we get too drunk to remember the combo at a gig (BTW, It's 1, 2, 3, 4) so we have to break it off so we can start the next set?

I've got to take mine to a luggage shop and have it replaced....for $40!

Has anyone in the history of guitar playing ever had their guitar stolen by someone opening the case, taking the guitar out, and then walking away with it. Some dude walking down the street with a Les Paul in his hands would be a lot more suspicious looking than someone simply walking around with a guitar case. If someone is going to steal your guitar they're just going to pick it up, case and all, and they're gone. They'll deal with whatever lock is on it when they get home.

In 99.9% percent of cases (no pun intended) the lock is only used to keep nosy people from touching your axe. Even then, it's usually a family member when you're not home. Bottom line is that most players never used the locks, Gibson knew this, and decided to save a couple bucks per case by removing them. In fact, over the years they've probably had thousands upon thousands of complaints/questions from people who accidently locked their case and didn't know the combination. I know that in the next room, I have seven Gibson cases and every single one of them still has the red plastic pin in the lock.

Having said all that, the new cases with the padlock option are a raw deal for everyone but Gibson since most Gibson owners will never use the padlock either. At least before, the 1 guy out of 1000 who did lock his case didn't have to go out and buy his own lock, and then keep track of a key. The built in lock was convenient. It was purely a money saving move for Gibson.

I am disappointed in this new development. For a premium guitar you would expect a premium case, in my thinking. I agree in the notion that the lock is more of a way to keep prying eyes out, than a theft deterant. How cheesey is a pad lock rattling around against the outside of your guitar case. This sounds like an ok move for the Epiphone line, but not Gibson's!

For anyone looking to get a very nice case for their guitar' date=' try Fine Cases.

Nevermind! I just got the following email:

Finecases.com has ceased operations effective May 23, 2008

Well, it was worth a try?

Since launching finecases.com in August 2002 I've often joked that this is the website that should never have happened. This was more truth than joke. What many folks don't realize is that this website was conceived, designed, developed, coded, operated and maintained by one person, with administrative support from a small but dedicated home-based staff of 3 or 4 people at any given moment.

After 7 years of operation, I am left with no option but to cease operations May 23, 2008. This website will remain ?live? and may be browsed until December 31, 2008, for informational and educational purposes. However, order-taking is disabled and we are answering only limited email inquiries. Basically, the demise of finecases.com is attributed to the contracting economy. We are a very tiny company and have operated on a shoestring budget since inception. Simply stated, we couldn't survive the economic slowdown.

No matter, it has been a road worth traveling, this tiny website, and I feel blessed to have been able to bring finecases.com to life, and interact with some of you, be touched by all of you, for this brief interlude. In all we have sucessfully processed and shipped over 15,000 customer orders. The ride has been an interesting one, and a good one overall. My tiny website has served as a source of unique information available nowhere else. We have served musicians from all genres, from rock and roll to classical, blues, jazz, bluegrass, Celtic and everything in between, you name it, we've been touched by it all in some form, at some level. There's a lot of music out there, and a lot of wonderful people making it. That's for sure. We've been blessed in that way.

Many thanks and many blessings to you.

--Frank Eastes

The Finecases Store

Andersonville, Tennessee

May 23, 2008

That's a shame. I bought from them the only time I bought a case and was very pleased with them.

Archived