Gibson Brands Forums

EMG 81 in SG Special?

darren051234

Hi guys,

I was trying to figure out is it possible to install EMG 81 into bridge pickup on my Gibson SG Special.

I unscrewed the box at the back of my guitar and I found out I couldn't fit a 9 volt battery into the box.

Is there any other way to put EMG 81 Active into the guitar?

Thx guys

I know it's gotta be possible; my ex-roommate had an SG Special with EMG's (81 & 85) in it, so I know it can be done. The only guitar I have with an EMG in it (bridge) is an Epiphone 80s superstrat, and it fits in the cavity but just barely.

If there isn't any room in the existing control cavity - you'll have to get a battery box installed or route out additional space for the battery.

I had a Gibson 61 RI showcase edition SG that came with factory installed EMG active pickups.

Gibson had put in a battery box.

Another way would be to remove the neck pup and put the battery in the pup cavity and then put a cover over it.

You could also remove one of the tone pots and wire the existing tone to both pups, this will allow for more room to fit a battery in the existing control cavity.

There are all kinds of ways to do it - some require more sacrifice than others, but it can be done.

For people who own a Gibson SG Special, The wiring in the guitar is alternatively different to normal mid~ low price guitar:

the pot is installed on a chip board, and the pick ups come with a lead....

so there is some "Quick install" technology used which didn't require soldering.

I was wondering can I just remove the chip,

instead os 2 tone and 2 volume knot, maybe take 1 knot out for my 9v battery for my EMG.

then uninstall the chip thingy and use the traditional way to solder them.

Any better plans?

For people who own a Gibson SG Special' date=' The wiring in the guitar is alternatively different to normal mid~ low price guitar:

the pot is installed on a chip board, and the pick ups come with a lead....

so there is some "Quick install" technology used which didn't require soldering.

I was wondering can I just remove the chip,

instead os 2 tone and 2 volume knot, maybe take 1 knot out for my 9v battery for my EMG.

then uninstall the chip thingy and use the traditional way to solder them.

Any better plans?[/quote']

So you are planning on taking the pcb out, then wiring it up normally (with solder and wire) so there is more room..

Although the best plan really would be not to put the emg in the guitar ... http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_005.htm

You can also get an Epiphone Prophecy SG EX. It comes stock with the Emg's in it. It has 24 frets, Ebony Fingerboard, set neck, graphite nut and grover tuners. you can buy new for $700 and get one for less on ebay.

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=293&CollectionID=16

I own one actually 2 Prophecies and they have excellent craftmanship for being made in China. Here's a pic of mine. The black one is the EX model. This might be a cheaper alternative to what you are considering. Just a thought. I think it has some pretty good bevels.

IMG_0086.jpg Hope this helps.

IMG_0083.jpg

Rewd.

Archived