Gibson Brands Forums

Page's drugged-out playing

heymisterk

Page is a studio artist.

To me, there is nothing wrong with that. The Beatles, '67-'70 were a studio band. Steely Dan, in their golden years, was a studio band.

Again, I go back to the How the West Was Won recordings...to me, they are magical.

For Christ's sake! We're talking about Rock and Roll! NONE of the guys mentioned in this thread are Andres Segovia. Rock and Roll is supposed to be a little rough and a little raw. In Led Zep's heyday, their audience was 15 to 25 year old males, and I remember how sophisticated musically I was at that age. For what they did, Led Zeppelin was great, and Jimmy Page was great.

I never thought Led Zep was particularly great "Live!" Love the records, but "Live" was always a bit

of a disappointment. My biggest problem, with JP is his (seeming) lack of progress. Clapton and Beck

have progressed, gotten much better, as players, live performers, and in Clapton's case, even a much

better, emotional, singer, now. He's very at ease, in front of a crowd...filming or not. (He might be

less at ease, than he appears, but you never "see" that.) He really loves, what he does, and it shows.

CB

Well "Speed," is nice/fun, for a short time...but, "Shredding" constantly get VERY old, very quickly...IMHO.

BB King, can send shivers down my spine, with 2-3 well placed notes. A "Shredder" has never done that,

to me. But, maybe that's just me?! I remember too, seeing a version of "Wonderful Tonight" where EC

used 1 elongaged note, that also gave me chills...for it's raw emotion, and perfect placement. That's the

kind of guitar playing I really appreciate, and hope to (one day) be able to do, as well. Hey...I can dream,

can't I? LOL!

CB

I agree' date=' charlie brown. Page may have actually REgressed, but back in the day, he was a great Rock and Roll guitarest.[/quote']

The other thing is, "We've" progressed! In our playing (hopefully), and our expectations.

Especially in regard to what we "expect" from our guitar "heros!" Page was one of the

"Gods" of Rock, during Zep's heyday. We, and most other of the "bigger" players moved on.

Jimmy didn't, apparently. Maybe that was all he had? Who knows? I'm sure his drug use

had an effect, but lots of players had drug and/or alcohol addictions, and are still viable,

or even better, sober players, today. So...???

CB

If you want to go on the dark side' date=' check out a bootleg called Destroyer recorded in Cleveland around 77. It's painfull to listen to.

Page has always been my favorite guitar player. A huge list of fantastic guitar solos and riffs. Anything after 1975, is another story. I wonder if he played with his guitar up higher instead of down to his knees would he be better live. I wonder if he sacrificed musicianship for image. He's still a mofo of a guitarist though.[/quote']

I found it on YouTube. It is pretty bad. Actually, what struck me was not that he was particularly awful in terms of blatant wrong notes, but that his playing had absolutely no energy to it. The version I heard from that performance of "Since I've Been Loving You" was particularly bad.

For Christ's sake! We're talking about Rock and Roll! NONE of the guys mentioned in this thread are Andres Segovia. Rock and Roll is supposed to be a little rough and a little raw. In Led Zep's heyday' date=' their audience was 15 to 25 year old males, and I remember how sophisticated musically I was at that age. For what they did, Led Zeppelin was great, and Jimmy Page was great.[/quote']

Bingo! Zep had a factor X to their live stuff that made it great. You either get it or you don't. You don't sell out three nights at MSG by being horrible live.

Bingo! Zep had a factor X to their live stuff that made it great. You either get it or you don't. You don't sell out three nights at MSG by being horrible live.

Hmmm Billy Joel sold out 12 in a row at MSG.

I guess that makes him better than Led Zep.

Jeez. Watching that video of Jimmy playing Stairway to Heaven with Jeff and Eric was painful. I was cutting myself the entire time. He played a billion times better during the How the West Was Won and the Royal Albert Hall concerts.

I guess Jimmy Page is a mortal.... next thing you know, Lil' Wayne is actually gonna start sounding good...

I need a drink

I suppose anyone can have a bad night. God knows I had them...BUT!

My own personal story about Jimmy Page and drugged out playing.....I went to a LZ concert right after their second album was released. They were doing a tour in the US with no other acts., just 3 hours of LZ, Man I was all stroked, what a great idea, I thought......

They sucked.....I mean not a little...They did not complete 6 bars of any song, it sounded like each member was playing a different song,. Within 10 min.s people were walking out. Not me, I thought, they are just getting warmed up, maybe they couldn't hear the monitors, maybe they just needed some time....oh hell, maybe they were just drunk, and didn't give a rip about their fans, I don't know what the problem was, but after a hour I had enough.

It really turned me off to them ever since.

Archived