Gibson Brands Forums

Robot Authenticity

robotman

As the owner of Limited Edition Silver Blue No 712 I would like to put my point forward to Robot owners, why would you want to change anything on your guitar from original spec. At some time in the future you may regret it. As we know a modified vintage instrument will never have the same value as an original one. However if you all want to upgrade your original Limited Editions go right ahead, it will only make mine rarer in the future.

Well,

the original ones just don't work very well.

I suppose as a pure investment it maybe makes sense to keep it as sold, but I want to actually use it, and I realise I've made a mistake in buying this thing. It isn't accurate enough unless you turn the accuracy way up - in which case it's so slow you'd be better off with a floor tuner and do it manually. It just isn't very good (IMHO).

I should have bought a nice Standard model. However, given that I have bought this thing, I might as well make it useable - if they ever do release the upgrade.

Guitars are MUSICAL instruments not FINANCIAL instruments. They are designed to be played, not stored away for hope they will someday be worth more.

The promise of this guitar was that you could take one instrument to a gig instead of many, if you used several alternate tunings in your sets. As built, the guitar partially delivered on that promise. The upgrade holds out the hope that the original promise will be more fully realized. Seeing as that is why I bought the instrument in the first place, I am more than willing to continue my quest and will gladly modify it to do so.

Guitars are MUSICAL instruments not FINANCIAL instruments. They are designed to be played' date=' not stored away for hope they will someday be worth more.

The promise of this guitar was that you could take one instrument to a gig instead of many, if you used several alternate tunings in your sets. As built, the guitar partially delivered on that promise. The upgrade holds out the hope that the original promise will be more fully realized. Seeing as that is why I bought the instrument in the first place, I am more than willing to continue my quest and will gladly modify it to do so.

[/quote']

Well written! There is nothing wrong in my GOR, but I'm hoping that someday I get better guitar...

One thing I've learned from this forum is that there are varied opinions on how any guitar owner takes care of, or abuses their guitar. On one end of the spectrum there is the gigging player that views their instrument as a tool to make money with. Any scuffs, scrapes, etc. adds personality or "mojo". At the other end of the spectrum is the collector; someone that wants to keep their instrument pristine to perhaps make money when they sell it down the road. Maybe they take it out of the case once in a while to keep it tuned or put yet another coat of wax on it. No matter where anyone falls within this spectrum, the bottom line is that we have the freedom to do what we want with our guitar(s).

As for me, I'm keeping my green SG GOR original.

I still believe the upgrade will happen. Remember the factory was flooded and millions lost. The 1st new guitar was fitted only yesterday. FActory pic Getting the factory up and running is higher priority. Still I believe we must be vocal, so post on their facebook page that we are waiting and ready. Here's the link Gibson NYC facebook, send Gibson a message, is on the left side of the page below the pictures of Gibson picks

Archived