Gibson Brands Forums

Need some direction

MitchM

I have an old Guitar of my Grandfather's and I want to learn to play. Could someone tell me what hte best method for staring would be? Point me in the direction of some good books and or DVD's?

Also, does it matter while learning if the guitar isn't properly tunred or have new strings? I don't have a tuner - nor do I know how to change strings, I want to learn all those things, but I just want to start learning to play.

Also, is it better to learn to read music as opposed to tabs?

And should I play with a pick, or do you just strum with your thumb?

Thanks for the input.

I have an old Guitar of my Grandfather's and I want to learn to play. Could someone tell me what hte best method for staring would be? Point me in the direction of some good books and or DVD's?

Also' date=' does it matter while learning if the guitar isn't properly tunred or have new strings? I don't have a tuner - nor do I know how to change strings, I want to learn all those things, but I just want to start learning to play.

Also, is it better to learn to read music as opposed to tabs?

And should I play with a pick, or do you just strum with your thumb?

Thanks for the input. [/quote']

could you please tell us what you want to play, post some pictures? We'll all be happy to take you under our wing. [blink]

Well - I like all different types of music' date=' country, classic rock ( ccr etc ) and even christian music. If I had to pick one though I'd say country. [/quote']

start with a pick then. [angry] and welcome to the forum.

first off I'd learn the notes on the guitar first before diving into tabs, I read both myself. as DemOOn said, you should probably get some lessons from someone. Yes the guitar needs to be tuned properly of it will sound wrong, and your ears won't get used to whats right.

How good are electric tuners? I saw Gibson even has an iphone app' date=' would that work for tuning? [/quote']

an electric tuner will work fine, and Gibson's app has you tune by ear which only a trained ear can do proficiently so spend 15-20 bucks on a tuner.

an electric tuner will work fine' date=' and Gibson's app has you tune by ear which only a trained ear can do proficiently so spend 15-20 bucks on a tuner.[/quote']

Go ahead and give it a try - I should think you can get close enough if you have any kind of ear at all.

It would be a great first lesson.

agreed with the others. An experienced guitar teacher will help. However, make sure you look for the RIGHT teacher. If your into country music, don't go to a guy who plays Death Metal. Another great bunch to look towards are these two gentleman on YouTube I go to alot to learn from. Their names are:

Justin Sandercoe (COMPLETELY FREE LESSONS, ALL OF THEM)

www.justinguitar.com

and

Marty Schwartz (Alot of free stuff as well)

To see their stuff, hit them up on YouTube. Or go to Justin's website. He has a completely free course for just beginners.

Archived