Gibson Brands Forums

Angus Young Sig V.S. Standard

Hippiekid

I would say go for the Angus signature.... I love the classic look of the tremolo and tail piece and the tremolo bar adds another dimension to what you can do with the guitar... There are those who say the tremolo is a pain in the butt because you have to keep an eye on the tuning but if it has a good set up its not that big a problem... Besides, so what if you have to tweek the tuning after a song... in 30 seconds your back in tune. There are those that say the stop bar sustains better but my Standard with tremolo sustains for days.... I'm sure you will get some opposing opinions so the best thing you could do is go out and try them both...

The angus sig. has his logo at the headstock, as opposed to the mother of pearl crown that the standard has on the headstock. The Angus sig. has a somewhat faded finish, but it's not as faded as the SG Special Fadeds are. Also, the Angus sig. has the lyre vibrola style tailpiece, however, it says "Angus" on the bottom of it. Those are the major differences.

Get yourself a used 61 Reissue with a Maestro on it.

Slimmer neck and half guard, but otherwise very similar for ALOT less money.

That's what I have and it's a keeper.

Unless you find a smokin' deal on an Angus sig.....

Archived