Gibson Brands Forums

Whale Wars

jnastynebr

Just watched my first episode. Some Japanese ship rammed a smaller boat and split it in half, but after replaying the clip eight times, it started to get boring. It seems like they could have made the show half as long and cut out some of the dramatic crap.

I am not pro-whale hunting by any means, but understand that it is a cultural practice that is closely regulated. It does seem that they have made efforts to comply with international standards as far as protected species, restricted areas, ect. ect.

I also respect the protester's right to enter international waters and and try to protect these animals if they feel so inclined to do so.

By the end of the show, I concluded that the protesters are bigger tools than the whale hunters. If the objective of this show is to mobilize some huge anti-whale killing movement, it fails miserably. Both parties seem to deserve eachother.

I have DirecTV, and access to nearly 300 channels.

My favorites has fewer than 40 in it, and I actually watch about 6 of them.

TV has gone to hell, and all the new 'Gee Whiz!' bullsh!t gets worse every year.

Nat Geo, Military, Discovery and History are the last non-news channels I watch - with lessening frequency.

My 25 year-old TV will probably last a long time at this rate...

/chuckle jnasty.... if you thought this was a boring episode, you'd never last through a normal one. ;)

That was the most action they've had in any of the episodes I've seen. Didja notice how, from the Bob Barker's camera, the Ady Gil looked like it was sitting still.... but from the Shonen Maru II 's cam it seemed to show the smaller boat accelerate?

:(

I understand wanting to police the international moratorium on whale hunting, but you've likely nailed it with they deserve eachother....

I agree that 95.8% of cable TV is crap. If it wasn’t for the NBA, NFL, NCAA football and basketball, I would be on Netflix, and nothing else. Of course my wife demands we dump the additional $60 a month so she can watch House Hunters.

Whale Wars just seems counterproductive. I hate to see a whale get speared and chopped up, but the species being hunted have sustainable numbers. More whales die in commercial fishing nets than are hunted.

I just wonder how many of these guys won’t hesitate to eat a fish that could have died next to a Humpback in a fisherman's net, and voice their commitment to sacrificing their own lives to save a whale while supporting an industry that kills more endangered animals than a Japanese harpoon ever could.

If I could free Willy, I would. But I dont want to be another white guy that tries to tell Asian people what they should or should not do, when we spent centuries doing the same thing. Here's to the Whale Wars crew beaching themselves in the sun......

Just watched my first episode. Some Japanese ship rammed a smaller boat and split it in half' date=' but after replaying the clip eight times, it started to get boring. It seems like they could have made the show half as long and cut out some of the dramatic crap.

I am not pro-whale hunting by any means, but understand that it is a cultural practice that is closely regulated. It does seem that they have made efforts to comply with international standards as far as protected species, restricted areas, ect. ect.

I also respect the protester's right to enter international waters and and try to protect these animals if they feel so inclined to do so.

By the end of the show, I concluded that the protesters are bigger tools than the whale hunters. If the objective of this show is to mobilize some huge anti-whale killing movement, it fails miserably. Both parties seem to deserve eachother.[/quote']

Well said.

The reason they turn a 15 minute 20/20 Television magazine vignet into an hour long yawn fest with 29seconds of looped and re-looped video is lack of competent writers. Either they don't exist or the networks are not willing to hire them. Remember the Writers Strike of a few years ago? The Writers Union won the battle, but lost the war.

Problem is whales are not a renewable resource, their reproductive rate is slow and they face natural predators. Adding human consuption will break the camel's back.

A protected habitat cannot be created for them because they travel from Alaska to the Ecuator for instance, they are too large to keep in captivity.

This is not idealism, it is a hard reality that they could go extinct.

This is not about killing a living thing, is about killing a living thing that is not replaceable.

I will eat cow, chicken, turkey, fish, ostrich, lamb, goat, deer....they are all manageable and renewable and they don't come in trays like a lot of people in the US seem to think.

The Japanase and Asians in general don't get it, they still kill black rhinos to make a soup out of the horn because that gives them a hard on. Go figure.

I am not defending the show because it is boring and the crew maybe a bunch of weirdos but the underlying reason for their efforts is a noble cause. IMO and I am not a hippie...

Archived