Gibson Brands Forums

CJ Personalization

Buc McMaster

My personalization of the little CJ is nearly complete. Only lacking a new nut, from Colosi. Pickguard removed, Grovers swapped for Waverly's in nickel with ivoroid buttons (had this set for several years.....been on several different guitars), UST and circuitry removed, endpin plug in bone, ivory saddle and pins. I'll have my mechanic plug & finish the Grover screw holes when I take it in for the nut job. This compact jumbo feels great on a strap; it's a hoot to rock with!

CJ165.jpgcjheadstock.jpg

I've had this guitar for, what, 2 months?.....something like that..... I enjoy the "dailing it in" aspect of getting a new guitar. Finding the right strings, fitting a saddle, tweaking the new toy. It's part of the joy of playing guitar for me.

Love those tuners. I kinda miss the pickguard, though. But as long as you like it, that's all that counts!

I enjoy the "dailing it in" aspect of getting a new guitar. Finding the right strings, fitting a saddle, tweaking the new toy. It's part of the joy of playing guitar for me.

Me too. I'm currently doing this with my lil' Grand Concert Goodall.

Speaking of nut jobs.....

I once met a guy who weighed 120 pounds. Apparently his testicles weighed 60 pounds!!! This guy was half nuts!!!!

Seriously.....nice looking guitar......when you removed the pickguard, did it leave any "sunburn" line? I kind of like the no-pickguard look myself....Waverlies rule!!!

......when you removed the pickguard' date=' did it leave any "sunburn" line?[/quote']

Yes, it has a tan line. The guitar is a new '08, two years old when I got it, and the nitro had turned some just hanging around. I keep an eye on Fuller's lefty inventory and this guitar was not there a couple of weeks before I found it. I suppose it was laying around the factory or was acquired in a swap between Fuller's and some other Gibson dealer. I made a cutout of the pickguard shape and on weekends I place the cutout on the top and lay the guitar on the floor below a sheer-curtained window for some low intensity sunning on that spot. I don't suppose it will ever match the rest of the top, but it has darkened some. I'm not totally anti-pickguard, but I didn't like the pointy look nor the tortoise color of the stock guard. I may send it off and have a solid black single layer one made without the extra point on it......similar to a Taylor in shape, I guess. Then again, I do like the no-guard appearance and the tan line doesn't bother me........

Thanks for the compliments.......it's a great little player.

Archived