Gibson Brands Forums

Which product for cleaning my Standard 2008?

robermadrid

Hi!!!I´m Rober, i live in Madrid, Spain, just bought a Les Paul Standard 2008 Gold top, so proud to be a gibson member, finally!!!, after 20 years playing crappy guitars...haha

I´d like to know which product (the name and ref. exactly) for cleaning the body of my les paul (sweating, fingermarks...) and which one for the rest: strings, neck, etc... and i´d like to hear some tips to keep my guitar new as the first day.... I red than the nitrocellulose finish is very delicated and u can´t use polish products....

thank u very much and sorry about my english

I have no problem with Gibson's own brand Luthier's Choice - they sell fretboard conditioner, polish, and string cleaner in 1 kit.

The key is an extremely soft cotton rag, and a soft touch.

Ernie Ball makes pre-loaded fretboard conditioner wipes that are very convenient - also a good choice for that purpose - they'll last forever as you can use 1 wipe over & over. I wipe down the board during string changes every few weeks (removing only a couple strings at a time).

There are other good brands of course, but Gibson's has Nitro in the polish, so unless I am doing scratch/swirl removal or whatnot, that's my choice.

You don't need to go overboard with cleaning products. I would just use a microfiber or 100% cotton cloth and wipe it down before putting it away. Fret Doctor is a great product (could be the best. Google it) for the fretboard but I'm not sure if they ship to Europe. That's all I use. If you can't get it, try any other brand of premium bore oil. If that's not an option, I'd go with lemon oil. You also don't need to condition the fretboard very often but it depends on where you live. Here in Canada, I only use Fret Doctor once every 9 - 12 months.

Guest rogerb

Not all polish works well with the nitrocellulose lacquer. We recommend Gibson's pump polish or Luthier's Choice guitar polish. These products can be purchased through most any authorized Gibson dealer.

Not all polish works well with the nitrocellulose lacquer. We recommend Gibson's pump polish or Luthier's Choice guitar polish. These products can be purchased through most any authorized Gibson dealer.

roger i realize that your gibsons customer service so naturaly would recommend a gibson product but...nothing compares to virtuoso for nitrocellulose...have you ever used it?

Ok guys u really convince me, now i gotta know the difference between the virtuoso polish and the cleaner, i guess the polish is for scratches and the cleaner is for the purpose i follow (sweat marks, fingermarks, etc...) and for use it everyday? what about the polish do u recomend me to buy both?

can i use the cleaner everyday?

Thanks a lot!!

Ok guys u really convince me' date=' now i gotta know the difference between the virtuoso polish and the cleaner, i guess the polish is for scratches and the cleaner is for the purpose i follow (sweat marks, fingermarks, etc...) and for use it everyday? what about the polish do u recomend me to buy both?

Thanks a lot!![/quote']

Honestly, I use the cleaner , maybe once a month or when I change strings. I would just wipe it down with a good cloth after each use. I don't think anyone said but, before playing your LP , wash your hands. That'll help string life and finish . The oils from our hands are not to good for the finish .

Off the webiste :

Virtuoso Premium Cleaner was created to cut through years of build up whether it is wax, sweat, spilled beverages or cigarette smoke.

If your musical instrument is already clean, we suggest you use Virtuoso Premium Polish. In addition to offering your instrument a high luster, fingerprint resistant finish, the Virtuoso Premium Polish also provides a very high degree of UV protection.

I only use the premium polish ...

Honestly' date=' I use the cleaner , maybe once a month or when I change strings. I would just wipe it down with a good cloth after each use. I don't think anyone said but, before playing your LP , wash your hands. That'll help string life and finish . The oils from our hands are not to good for the finish . [/quote']

After i've used the cleaner and then the polish i just wipe it over with a micro fibre cloth and hey presto its just like new again.

+1 about washing your hands before you play.

Ok guys u really convince me' date=' now i gotta know the difference between the virtuoso polish and the cleaner, i guess the polish is for scratches and the cleaner is for the purpose i follow (sweat marks, fingermarks, etc...) and for use it everyday? what about the polish do u recomend me to buy both?

Thanks a lot!![/quote']

the cleaner "cleans" it and the "polisher" polishes it up to a bright shine... as said above no need to use it daily (would cost an arm and a leg if you did) lol.

heres a before and after of the vutuoso both cleaner and polish...

BEFORE

004.jpg

AFTER

013.jpg

BEFORE

8827_1228643950889_1072796345_70443.jpg

AFTER

124.jpg

Archived