Gibson Brands Forums

Saw my first fake LP at GC yesterday

wardog357

I was in the store looking at LP's and heard one of the salesman say the boss had a fake LP in his office. All of us said can we see it? There was obvious flaws. It was supposed to be a custom.....binding was all wrong, Gibson font wrong, the matching top pieces had a filler piece about 1/4" wide, the serial number was too long to name a few. While we compared one off the rack to the fake...the guy who owned it called in. I bet this guy had his day ruined. But I did pickup a worn brown studio with hardshell case for a really good price. Still will get another LP in the future. Buyers beware!

Guest BentonC

Yup- they are all over the place, but authorized dealers are the safest places to buy (new Gibsons are guaranteed!). It's great to hear that GC caught it, and it didn't end up hanging on the wall for someone to buy!

I went into a GC in Mobile and they had a fake Jem in their store. I told the child working there with the barely visible peach fuzz who remarked I was sooo stupid. I asked for a manager and another older kid came by with a clean shaven face but also as stupid ID's himself as the Asst Manager and he wanted to know how I knew. I pointed out (very obvious) the errors. When he shrug his shoulders I pulled out my PDA and started taking pictures and the flash alerted the staff. They asked if I was F***ing stupid or what; I told them no I was not but at the very least I know a fake Jem when I see it. They quickly removed the used guitar from the floor and asked me to leave the store.

I have never returned to that store again; its been at least two years now since that fake Jem was on their showroom floor.

You know the Ibanez fakes are rare so its understandble for someone not to belive you.

This guy is slick - gives the bare minimum description, no details, crappy pics, and takes no responsibility cause he 'doesn't know much about it'.

Other then it is listed as a Gibson Les Paul Guitar - it would be hard to even hold 'em to anything other then wear, without asking some serious questions 1st.

People bidding are just looking for a steal of a deal by a naive seller...actually not much sympathy in this case as with other fakes.

This guy is slick - gives the bare minimum description' date=' no details, crappy pics, and takes no responsibility cause he 'doesn't know much about it'.

Other then it is listed as a Gibson Les Paul Guitar - it would be hard to even hold 'em to anything other then wear, without asking some serious questions 1st.

People bidding are just looking for a steal of a deal by a naive seller...actually not much sympathy in this case as with other fakes.[/quote']

That's a very common tactic among Fake Sellers with watches. Got as a gift, don't know much about it, blah blah blah... all with lousy pics to boot.

Once in awhile, the C&B story turns out to be true. On that off chance, I just sent the Seller the following through "My eBay Messages". Of course I don't expect anything, because I think he knows full well what he's selling...

Are you aware that this guitar is a counterfeit? I strongly suggest you cancel the auction, unless fraud is your intent. If you really are unaware, take it to a reputable Gibson Dealer, or simply call Gibson in Nashville for verification.

That's really a sad case TBone.....especially for the ill informed buyers. Makes you want to only buy new from a retailer, that really reduces the odds of buying a fake. But it's sad because it effects the good sellers that are selling legit instruments. Everyone looks at things totally different once this situation of fake goods being made becomes more frequent and evident. Whats even worse is that there are music stores probably buying them because they are not properly trained and even know what to look for. And some poor dude walks in and buys it from that store not being very informed either and so it goes. Just sad, that's all.

I reported that b!tch. It's up to $1200. Can't have that happen. Not on my watch.

I've been watching this auction for a couple of days now. I reported him and asked him if it was fake. His reply was:

"Hi

I am not sure.

as I said it use to be my sons. I have no idea.

I am sorry. I am out of toen and cannot take more pictures. How do you know its fake?

I dont know guitars from watermellons"

Right now, it's 1335 dollars.

This guy is taking the approach that I know nothing about guitars tactic. He's been told...if he were really an honest person...I'm sure there are music stores with trained personnel that could assist him in this matter if he really cared ;) He's just taking the easy way out and saying....I know nothing basically.

I've reported it as counterfeit two days running and still ebay refuses to pull it.

Perhaps it's time ebay was reported for allowing the trading of counterfeit goods?

Can someone from Gibson Customer Service please contact ebay directly?

As well , I reported to Ebay, before I posted the link here. Sent message to the seller. Obviously he knows fully well what he's doing, playing dumb, to deliberately ripoff some sucker.

It's been years since I set up my Ebay account, so I can't recall what's involved - maybe the way to deal with it is to set up a new, Ebay account with false info and high bid it, then, of course - don't pay.

Archived