Gibson Brands Forums

looking to buy my 1st les paul

jerrel1019

hows it going guys, im a beginning guitar player who has been playing for about 2 years ( just about all rythem guitar) and im gonna start learning lead guitar this august ( scales ect, i wanna b able to improvise and play solos) so as a reward to my self for advancing to the next level i plan on buying a new guitar and was thinkng between a les paul studio with the worn cherry finish, an epiphone jeff beck oxblood finish( i have yet to see one of these in person yet cuz i was hearing the pictures online dont really catch the color too good) and lastt but not least the new released Les Paul Studio 1950s Tribute which comes out next month heres a link of the guitar

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-1950s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar?sku=430789

im leaning with the worn cherry studio but idk about the other 2 they catch the attention of my eyes but i havent been able to get my hands on the epiphone oxblood yet and the other dosent come out till next month, so are there any reason i should go with one of the other 2 or should i stick with the worn cherry studio

Welcome, Jerrel1019...What kind of music, do you prefer? What guitar are you playing now? Are you looking

to replace your current guitar, or just add another option/tone, to your capabilities. That might help

determining, which LP to get, within your price range/budget? Best thing to do, is go out and play

all of them, and see which one feels the best, and gives you the most tones, you love. Good Luck!

CB

thanks for the warm welcome guys, well ring now im playing outta a orange 35 watt crush, i own squire bullet strat ( yea i kno its a cheep guitar but it was my 1st ) and my pride and joy right now being my fender strat with the humbucker in the bridge, and i play mostly punk rock and metal, my favorite band is the fall of troy, (i think thomas erak is a god among guitar players and i myself would very much like to emulate his style of play)

thanks for the warm welcome guys' date=' well ring now im playing outta a orange 35 watt crush, i own squire bullet strat ( yea i kno its a cheep guitar but it was my 1st ) and my pride and joy right now being my fender strat with the humbucker in the bridge, and i play mostly punk rock and metal, my favorite band is the fall of troy, (i think thomas erak is a god among guitar players and i myself would very much like to emulate his style of play) [/quote']

I as well think thomas is a great guitarist and im sadden by the break up. [biggrin]

Thomas played a strat when he recored the first record with fall of troy but then he started using Gibsons.

It would be wise to get a gibson if you want to get close to his tone.

Also a strat isnt really meant for playing anything with high gain.

hows it going guys' date=' im a beginning guitar player who has been playing for about 2 years ( just about all rythem guitar) and im gonna start learning lead guitar this august ( scales ect, i wanna b able to improvise and play solos) so as a reward to my self for advancing to the next level i plan on buying a new guitar and was thinkng between a les paul studio with the worn cherry finish, an epiphone jeff beck oxblood finish( i have yet to see one of these in person yet cuz i was hearing the pictures online dont really catch the color too good) and lastt but not least the new released Les Paul Studio 1950s Tribute which comes out next month heres a link of the guitar

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-1950s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar?sku=430789

im leaning with the worn cherry studio but idk about the other 2 they catch the attention of my eyes but i havent been able to get my hands on the epiphone oxblood yet and the other dosent come out till next month, so are there any reason i should go with one of the other 2 or should i stick with the worn cherry studio[/quote']

When considering your options, take in to account that the Studio worn cherry is an all Mahogany version and the other two have Maple tops. The two Studio`s are also Chambered, not sure the spec of the Epi. Aslo, you have P90`s on the 50 tribute and BB Pro`s on the worn cherry.

The key point, is they are all very different, so you need to spend time trying them before you buy.

I have a worn Brown and love the way it feels and sounds. The toner is slightly darker then my Standard (Maple v Mahogany top), which I very much like.

In my opinion, if you can afford it, go for one of the Studio`s, opposed to the Epi. I believe the components are of a high quality and in the long run, you be glad you did.

All the best.

Guest rogerb

I personally am a fan of the worn finish guitars. The seem to resonate better due to the very thin coat of lacquer. This will translate into great tone.

But I also agree with Yaff, it is better if you can try out these guitars before buying. Everyone's taste is different.

Archived