Gibson Brands Forums

What do you keep in your guitar pockets?

Steven Tari

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....and that's damn cryin shame right there [thumbdn] .... You're one of the best guitarist on this board, you should be playing out somewhere with other gifted players.

Thanks for saying so duane...i've been lazy since we moved back from Seattle in terms of getting out there to jam.

This might sound weird to you but I have trouble picturing myself with any other band than my old band...we broke up because I moved out of town. Its mostly the singer/lead guitarist that I can't see myself writing and performing without...

He has an AMAZING voice and he's got great lead guitar skills...i can't see me finding another singer that I like as much as him and a guitarist that clicks with me like he does. I just don't think i will have as much fun....AND i'm pretty self conscious about my playing. I'm not good at "jamming" and thats how a lot of new bands get started. :)

Anyway...i plan to start jamming with some of the guys soon - they are all scattered around this huge city so its hard to get together!

Back to whats in your pockets. Lint?

In my main player HS Case, glove box, from treble to bass side:

Electronic tuner

Eyeglass case 1: suction cup pick-up, Ear piece, adapter for the two.

RadioShack mini amp fur use as an personal on board monitor using contents of eyeglass case #1

Eyeglass case 2: 3 or 4 picks. nail clippers

Kyser capo in a denim zipper pouch, soon to be replaced by a Shubb I found and have fallen in love with.

Eyeglass case 3: assortment of finger picks I haven't used in 5 years. Should get rid of it but it takes up empty space making the rest of the box snug and not rattling around. I may find something else to put in it's place but for now it's just dunnage.

Loose: diamond nail file

Outside the glove box, microfiber wipey towel laid on top guitar.

Fabric pencil case with pencils and eraser tucked into the headstock well.

I really like those little eyeglass cases. They're oval and are primarily used for holding non-prescription reader glasses, the folding kind. The cases really help organize a small space.

I never remove the strap. My strap for "Jean" is all leather, made from a 2" wide black leather belt. I fabricated a keyhole for the bottom button. Once installed over the button, I sutured the slit part together so it is nigh on impossible to remove. The other end is tied to the headstock with black boot lace. When put away, the strap is laid flat under the back, in line with the neck. The strap goes under the neck at the cradle and the rest lays under the headstock in the headstock well atop the aforementioned pencil case.

...little watch pocket on my Levi's - My wife was complaining that five pair of jeans she was washing all had GUITAR pics in that small pocket! ...

Watch Pocket? I thought that WAS a pick pocket. Well you learn something new everyday. ;)

So.. what am I supposed to do with my picks? stick them to my wrist? #-o

What kinda guitars you guys using that have pockets??!

Acoustic.

Has big hole right in the middle.

You'd be amazed at what can fit in there...

Strings

Picks

A Baby Desert Eagle .380 pistol

I also keep a strap in the case but I roll them up and store them in the cutaway usually

1.Strap

2.ziplock bag of parts (mainly my old knobs and one of those little plastic tuning peg turner thingy lol)

4.maybe a pick or two

6.truss rod adjuster (never use it, but it stays in there)

This is the only mention I see of my Number One guitar case item.

At least one Ziplock freezer bag (the thickest ones) if not two.

I've heard of small items getting out of the pocket and swimming around in the case while the guitar was in transit.

One was an absolute horror story, truss rod wrench destroyed a finish over half the guitar.

Another one was a Strat, the trem arm got against the body and gouged it bad.

I put ALL the items in my case inside a baggie, and I have a spare in case one gets a hole in it.

If I'm going to a gig, I'll carry an E string plus a full set.

Usually leave a few Clayton 1mm picks in there.

I too have dedicated straps for my guitars, they go in the case if they'll fit.

Everything else (including a Glock 10mm or S&W Airweight .38) goes in a nuclear-grade gig bag.

Picks

capo

extra cord

tuning fork

herb tea

Yeah son! I'm not the only one who uses a tuning fork or keeps tea in his case.

I do keep two tea bags in acoustic cases because I love to drink tea while playing acoustic. I also throw some cigarettes in the cases before I leave the house. But for the most part only 5 picks and a strap in every case, and I can barely fit a nice leather strap in Gibson cases, I don't know how you guys get all that stuff in your's.

Get yerself a nuclear-grade gig bag.

[thumbup]

I tour/fly a ton and there is no way I'll do that with a gig bag, Actually only my main SG, that stays by my side 100% of the time stays in a regular case, the rest stay in flight/road cases.

But I may get a super nice grade gig bag for local blues gig's, thanks Neo. Got one you'd recommend? The reunion blues one's look nice but they don't seem to have much storage space.

Huh?

[confused][blink] :o

No, no, no, no, NO!

Hell no, my guitars don't go ANYWHERE without their factory cases!

A gig bag, meaning a soft bag to cram all your extra sh!t in.

Duffel bag, etc...

(See my earlier post, number 59)

I call mine a gig bag because that's all I use it for.

Tuner, cables, picks, tape, leather strap that doesn't fit in the GUITAR case, Ziploc freezer bags, mouse belts...

Sorry for the confusion.

[thumbup]

Cell phone goes in it too, along with a loaded firearm.

I keep a small paint brush—the kind you'd use for art—in the pocket of my ES-175.

It's perfect for cleaning those tight places where dust tends to settle just out of reach of a cleaning cloth.

Now that's fastidious! [thumbup]

The paint brush I keep in my ES-175 saved the day.

I was getting ready to play. Plugging in the amp, a Danelectro Fab Tone, my guitar,

when all of a sudden the instrument cable went right through the hole in the body.

I found the washer and cable right away and started to fix the jack.

I needed something long enough to fit through the F-hole and push the jack back into place.

The perfect tool was right inside the case. Slipped it in the whole and held it in place while tightening her up.

• 6 months later...

Archived