Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special Info Request

rikiricard0

Hey all!

I'm wondering if an SG aficionado out there can give me some info about my SG....I bought it back in my teenage years and now I'm looking to sell or trade, but really don't know much about it.

serial number 909465532

model #SGSPFRCH1

I was checking out a couple of price guides and they differentiated between "common" and "rare" colors.

I would describe the color as cherrry, but not the worn cherry.

What are some of the rare colors?

I haven't changed anything on the guitar and I bought it new.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

[SG001.jpg

SG002.jpg

SG008.jpg

SG003.jpg

What you have there is a SG Special from '96. There's nothing really rare about them, I know they had a cherry finish as a stock color but it appears especially bright in your photos...I'm guessing just the flash. Should fetch you from $700-800 on eBay, if the economy doesn't get any worse.

If it was a special finish, it's really only worth anything more if someone is willing to pay it. One of those "beauty is in the end of the beholder" things.

Cool axe though!

Thanks for the info!

Yeh, the red is pretty bright...that's why I would have guessed that the "FRCH" part of the model # stood for "Fire Cherry"....but is that an actual color?

How much do you think I should knock down the price for a couple chips and scatches around the perimeter of the guitar?

Also, do you happen to know what kind of pick-ups would be standard for this SG?

Thanks again

Thanks for the info!

Yeh' date=' the red is pretty bright...that's why I would have guessed that the "FRCH" part of the model # stood for "Fire Cherry"....but is that an actual color?

How much do you think I should knock down the price for a couple chips and scatches around the perimeter of the guitar?

Also, do you happen to know what kind of pick-ups would be standard for this SG?

Thanks again[/quote']

Wine Red was the standard color for the SG Special. You may have a limited color there, but I can't seem to find out any more info than that.

Regardless, like I said, that doesn't automatically make it worth any more except to someone who's looking for that specific guitar.

Stock pickups should be 490T/490R.

I personally can't tell you any more. Someone else may be able to here, keep checking back. Also, I'd check out the forums at everythingsg.com. Those guys are SG nerds to the extreme.

You could also email Gibson customer support, they could tell you more as well.

Archived