Gibson Brands Forums

Velvet Brick - Tracking down the goods...

avidn

Greetings to all.

I am new to joining the forums, but I have browsed for a while now. I thought I would jump in and join since I have just purchased a "used" Gibson SG, on Ebay. Just purchased yesterday, not even in shipment yet. CAN"T WAIT!

What I purchased is a 1980 Gibson SG Firebrand. Everything appears to be original from the pictures, except the pickups, which were changed.

My question is does anybody know the "Exact" original Gibson pickups that this model came with. The Gibson ads for this model state "One exposed front humbucking pickup coupled to an all new exposed super hot specially wound rear "Velvet Brick" super humbucking pickup that features one cream and one black coil."

Any specifics would be appreciated. I have researched somewhat, but have not come up with a definite solution as of yet.

I really would like to replace the pickups with the exact same original style that it came with.

Thanks in advance to any and all replies. =D>/

Well met,

David

After some research I have drawn a few more insights.

The pickups currently, (replacements from original by prior owner), are a Gibson 500T -open HB- in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan APH-1 -open HB- in the bridge position.

The current neck pickup is described by the manufacturer as "Very Hot with excellent sustain and definition."

The current bridge pickup is described by the manufacturer as "Warm, moderate-output humbucker. Great for jazz, blues, classic rock and slide."

The original bridge pickup "Velvet Brick" is described by Gibson as "super hot specially wound", so I don't think the Seymour Duncan APH-1 will stay, especially since I want to get this guitar back to original equipment. From what I saw on the Gibson pickup overview here

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=100121

my thoughts would lean towards the original bridge pickup being a dirty fingers, but those do not come in "zebra", so that would lead me to believe the original bridge pickup to be a 57 classic plus.

I also noticed the Gibson 500T pickup described as being a bridge pickup, and that is what is currently in the neck position. Is this a big deal, or is that neck/bridge position guide just a suggestion, rather than a concrete rule?

Any additional thoughts or assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, David

hi David, this SG firebrand had or velvet brick (black at neck and zebra at bridge) or T-TOP (black or with nickel cover.)

I don't like 500T because it's ceramic and much hot... modern humbucking.. the velvet brick or T-Top is Alnico V and PAF style (with vintage output)...

if you do not want to find the originals (.. for the excessive cost..) Advice for you a copy of Tonerider Alnico Classic IV (really cheap but with a quality equal to dimarzio and seymour) really beautiful, defined, dynamic, clear!! I have them mounted on my Les Paul Studio!!

otherwise a copy of Gibson 57 classic..

one question for you.. this Sg have a black headstock or natural??

hi David' date=' this SG firebrand had or velvet brick (black at neck and zebra at bridge) or T-TOP (black or with nickel cover.)

I don't like 500T because it's ceramic and much hot... modern humbucking.. the velvet brick or T-Top is Alnico V and PAF style (with vintage output)...

if you do not want to find the originals (.. for the excessive cost..) Advice for you a copy of Tonerider Alnico Classic IV (really cheap but with a quality equal to dimarzio and seymour) really beautiful, defined, dynamic, clear!! I have them mounted on my Les Paul Studio!!

otherwise a copy of Gibson 57 classic..

one question for you.. this Sg have a black headstock or natural??[/quote']

Mark Simon Hell - first off thanks for the response.

I will definitely stay with the Gibson pickups, just to get the guitar back as close to original as I can.

Yes, originally the neck had an open HB -black- and the bridge had an open HB - zebra- "Velvet brick".

Are you saying that you know the neck pickup is originally a "T-Top" ?

And do you know exactly what the "Velvet Brick" pickup was ?

The "Velvet Brick" bridge pickup was "super hot and specially wound", so I am thinking that a new Gibson 57Classic Plus will get close to what that orginal pickup was, for the bridge. The Gibson Dirty Fingers seems like it would be a closer match to the original, but they only come in black, not Zebra, so that rules that choice out for me.

I also am leaning towards a Gibson 57 Classic for the neck.

If I can't get a definitive solution as to the exact match for the original pickups, I will most likely go with the Gibson's 57Classic in the neck and 57 Classic Plus in the bridge.

In answer to your question about the style of the headstock, Here are some pics;

sgfrbrndincase.jpg

sgfrbrndback.jpg

sgfrbrndhdstck.jpg

sgfrbrndserial.jpg

Yes, you have right!!!! the Velvet Brick humbuckers is HOT.. I read that Dirty Finger is similar.. but I dont know..

I have play SG "THE SG" e similer model like Firebrand (all of 1981) but none with Velvet Brick ...had T-TOPS or Tim Shaw PAF ...and NOT the hot pickups... 7,50k of output..

I think that 57 Classic + 57 Classic PLUS is a good choice!! but also Burstbucker I + Burstbucker II or III.. or classic 57 + Dirty Finger.. is always good choice...

..that sound you want?

and I repeat that Tonerider is a very good pickups!! you cant try ROCKSONG set.. alnico II with 8.0K (at neck) and 12k (at bridge).. hot but vintage sound!!! ..then when you understand what you want you can be more oriented .. and choose better!! no?

...you notice that your knob are not originals.. the Firebrand and other SG of those years have "speed knob" model black and not "top hat" model like this ..but I prefer "top hat"!!!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, Just butting in... I have the 1980 SG Firebrand, and its all original, I am thinking of buying a replacement bridge pickup, and i've been looking at 500T or Dirty Fingers.. I love the dirty sound of the Neck pickup, but i find the Bridge pickup lacks punch a bit.. do pickups age and wear out?? sorry if thats a stupid question, but i am more of a player than a guitar tech... I am thinking of going for a more modern sound for bridge and leaving the vintage sound for clean on the neck?? thoughts ? i want to stay gibson, as i have never played an aftermarket pickup i have liked !

The "Velvet Brick" bridge pickup was "super hot and specially wound"' date=' so I am thinking that a new Gibson 57Classic Plus will get close to what that orginal pickup was, for the bridge. The Gibson Dirty Fingers seems like it would be a closer match to the original, but they only come in black, not Zebra, so that rules that choice out for me.

']

not to call you out but im going to do it anyway =D

a guitar is a tool, looks are important, but to sacrafice tone, playabilty, ect, over looks isnt to smart my friend

you may want to reconsider your position, as it would be a shame to miss out on something good oer the color/style

just my .02$

• 4 months later...

Avidn

You may be in luck as to your quest for the Velvet Brick if you are looking to keep it original. (The Axe will definitly be worth 4x more than the 500 I paid back in 79')

I purchased A Gibson "The SG" back in 1979-80 when I was rock'in out with a band while I was in the Navy, Gulfport Mississippi.

We were in Rosy Roads Puerto Rico 1980, and our Bass Player went back to the states for R&R, we asked him to pick us up some more supplies (Strings, drum heads, etc) we could not find here at the time. I asked him to pick me up a DiMarzio Super Humbucker PUP. I installed it. Well to make it short I sold the Axe to make rent a few years later.

I have the original Pick up in the DiMarzio PUP clear case. I was concidering installing into my current SG, but seriously want the 57 Classic and 57 Classic plus combo.

Respond to stratsurfer2000@yahoo.com

Ed2

Austin, TX.

if you are looking for that old fashioned "vintage" Gibson tone , then you will not like the 500T or the Dirty Fingers.

BUT ... if you are looking for high output , clarity , singing sustain ,tons of harmonics, and incredible tone you will LOVE the Dirty Fingers.

i have a D/F in my 24 fret single pickup SG I , and 1 in the bridge position of my 1987 Charvel Model 6 .

the D/F has become my favorite pickup .

the 500T is ok .... it just cant compare to the Dirty Fingers in my book

Archived