Gibson Brands Forums

Standard Goldtop 1999 Ltd Ed?

Nowtaps

Hi everyone, as you can see, I'm new here.

Just got my first Gibson as a gift, an LP Standard, been playing Fender my whole life, so I have little knowledge on Les Pauls. Loving it so far tho.

Anyway, one quick question.

The guitar is a '1999 Goldtop LP Standard Limited Edition', I tried googling online but couldn't find anything

The serial #92039*** and there's a 'Limited Edition on the back of the headstock, pictured below:

010710gibsonlpstdgoldto.jpg

Does anyone have any info on it? Why is it a Ltd edition? What kind of pickup is in it, etc?

Cheers guys!

Alright, my son just send me these pictures.

He bought it from a local guitar store that also sells online and these pictures were on the website.

010710gibsonlpstdgoldto.jpg010710gibsonlpstdgoldto.jpg

Let me know if the pictures are too big, and I'll resize it.

edit: Also, what type of neck are used in these? I tried a few Gibsons before but these seems to be a lot slimmer?

Cheers guys

Does anyone have any info on it? Why is it a Ltd edition? What kind of pickup is in it' date=' etc.

Cheers guys![/quote']

I've no idea why it has the limited edition mark. [biggrin]

The serial number tells us that it was built (well, dated) in Nashville Tn., on the 22nd Jan 1999; production number 283.

It seems to be just a normal LP Standard Gold-Top (i.e. it's not a re-issue).

It has the regular fitments; 'Nashville' bridge; Speed-knobs and so on.

As far as I'm aware 1999 wasn't an anniversary of any sort in the Les Paul world - 47 years since first introduction, 42 years since the PAF's. Perhaps 30 years since the Gold-Top was re-introduced in 1969?[crying]

Intriguing!

From my own little research I just did...the 1999 came with a 60's slim neck in limited quantity..that's why the stamp. Most came with the much thicker 50's style neck.....

The pickups from what I read are 498t and 490R.

Hope that helps.

Like I said' date=' my first Gibson, and wow, I'm really surprised at the sustain on this thing.

This could be dangerous to my wallet.[/quote']

Yes you may have to sell some fenders to fuel your Gibson habit lol

Archived